good peddle , poor braking ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm betting on lever changes to fix it. Mine will be done here shortly and I'll let you know how it works. This one had 1" dual mc to start, I have a brand new one. New 3/16" lines to replace the same size that both of my donors had. 1953 F100 brake cylinders,and drums, 1971 Jeep rear brake cylinders and drums. Now, I have the original jeep pedal but it's ratio is really bad as far as I'm concerned and will be fabbing my own pedal. The Jeep one has the pin set 3" from the axis, and the lever is only 14". That's less than 1/5. The jeep was light and I guess it might have been ok but I'm going longer for sure because I don't want a hard pedal and no brakes. I believe the system will match as close as two different ones can. And I believe if I make sure to fit things right for a long pedal I can make it brake easy enough.

smallfoot Ill be glad to get mine fixed that way I can run it around without the fear of having to hit the ditch :D I have so much on my plate right now its hard to fit it in to get to working on it ,, my Rat will be the next ill get to working on ,, i'll be learning from this deal on what to do on the 49 ford.

Y.T. take a look at what Speedway has to say about brake systems. Not trying to sell their parts for them but they always have tips and provide lots of useful info. Generally speaking, they say what I was trying to. Try to emulate something that has already been done with all the parts and pieces. Alot of adjustments can be made at the lever.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/brake-system-selection-service-performance-operation.dlp

I snagged the mc I'm using from them for 37 buck snorts...can probably pick up similar mcs at auto parts stores for about the same. comes with the adjustable rod.

I had a similar problem with my F1 a few years back. I lengthened the rod from the booster to the master cylinder. That allowed the piston to fully engage . I struggled for 2 weeks trying to bleed brakes ,thinking I had air in the lines. I had good solid pedal, but it would not lock up. You might just try to adjust the length on that rod.

the pedal don't move maybe 1&1/2 inch then its hard so , the rod length will be ok , if I about go to the floor ,, before it got hard Id say to lengthen the rod ..maybe when I get back on it Ill experiment with adding length to the pedal itself which is hanging to low now ,, but if this will fix the problem Ill just have to raise the MC and then stretch the pedal length .. that would be great if this is all that's wrong with it ...

Latest posts

Back