Got my car home finally!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad Rob

Got my Chieftain home finally! Here's what I'm working with...

And now the fun part begins.
l_1e2b44e46c0b268dd3fa975619a0e63d.jpg

Last edited:
that is gonna be one kick butt rod man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of frenching the headlights since one of headlight rings is messed up (passanger side). I'd also like to drop it at least 4"-6" all the way around. I'm gonna take a few more pics while the sun it up. I'm glad the computer room has a window facing the driveway, otherwise I wouldn't be online right now.. :D

Does anyone have an idea what this decal could have been for? It's in the back window on the left side. I found a bunch of small RCA parts boxes inside the car so I thought it might have been an electronics repair vehicle at one time.
l_d4f569fbcceb85199804b3ba4c329884.jpg

Got a lot of work to do on the back end. I have the tail lights and the bumpers for the front and rear but they are off so I can do the sheet metal work.
l_538e22aa912402495f7262196af5c571.jpg

Too bad the headliner is ripped by the dome light, it's in great shape otherwise... I wonder if that speaker works on the dash... ;)
l_ab811cb11053779a46c08bb7640d8158.jpg

It's always exciting to get a new project home with all the ideas swimming around in your head. I would say pick a build style, see how that build will fit into your budget, lay out a solid plan and start working on it.

that thing is cool! what is it? :D seriously though, i don't know what it is....

'53 Pontiac Chieftain sedan delivery. I remember the first time I drove by it 4 years ago, I almost drove off the road from staring at it. I had never seen anything like it before, once I saw it was a Pontiac, I knew I had to have it.

I like it a lot. :) Can you imagine the room you are going to have to carry stuff to shows and cruises? :D

Don

There's tons of room in this thing. Right now I have the radiator, transmission, driveshaft, gas tank, all the stainless side trim, both bumpers, rear valance, a couple boxes of misc. parts and a spare tire in it and I still have room.

I can also lay down in it which doubles my points in the bonus round. :D

That has so many possibilities. Sounds like you already know what to do with it.

I definitely know what I want to do with it, I just have to find the time and money. I have everything to make it stock but I don't have the desire or funds to do a restoration. I'll be selling the stock flat 6, stock rear end and stock tranny soon to recoup a little money since I borrowed $1,500 to buy this. :rolleyes:

My chore list:
-Make floor pans for the pass and drivers side to replace flinstone power.
-Make patch panels for the lower 6" of body that is GONE.
-Graft on camaro/nova subframe (need it)
-v8 with 5 speed (have it)
-Camaro steering column w/ camaro swinging pedals and brake booster/MC (have it)
-Camaro rear end w/ 3.73 and posi (have it)
-Lowering blocks on stock rear springs with new bushings (I hope the springs aren't cracked, I will take them apart to clean/inspect soon) or install S-10 rear springs w/ blocks (have them)
-Rewire car using camaro fuse box/wiring (have it)
-French head lights once I learn how it's done.
-Reupholster bench seat or replace
-Replace drivers side window glass (have it)
-Locate radiator that will work with the v8 (think I found one from a 70's dodge tow truck, need to pull it)
-Figure out how/where to mount a fuel tank (stock is questionable but could be used)

I'm saving that pic! I was just talking about that paint scheme with 52henryj and I couldn't quite picture it... but now I can. Thanks!!!

Oh yeah, I have an update. I found the oil pump that was keeping me from using the original flat six, so I'm going to see if I can get it running since it was supposed to be rebuilt (which I believe judging from it's condition). If it will fire up, I'm running the original drivetrain since it fits my budget a lot better.

I definitely don't have to go fast to enjoy this car, I was grinning when I got to steer it onto the tow truck behind a winch cable. :D

cool

nice project you have there. a year ago there was one in revere mass. I was going to buy. it was chopped and in primer. 350 motor .went back in a couple of hours to give him the money. but he sold it after I left . lost that one.:)

Latest posts

Back