got that right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I see from the age poll that there are some guys 45 and younger on the site. I am waiting for the " I remember paying 1.20 for gas in my first car."

yeah me too,, i am only forty , i remember the vetnam war,, people say wasnt that in the 60's, i say yes up till 75, and they are amazed!!! i was just a kid but i remember,, yes we did have t.v. back then hahaha

In about '61 or '62 I saw gas get down to 19.9 at a gas station I worked at. We had a gas war in the area and it dropped that low from it's normal 24.9. Funny part was, we still had full service and gave you a glass with every fillup. :D:D

If someone would have told me in July that we would be seeing gas again at $ 1.65 like I saw yesterday, I would have told them they were crazy. Don't know how long this will last, but I sure love it while it is. I filled up my tank and it only took $ 23 the other day, and I was on empty. :D:D

Don

Grandpa's magazine

Motor Trend
October 1958

Pg.32
Why I Didn't Buy a '58 Detroit Car"

reason #6 COST OF OPERATION TOO HIGH
M.G.Wheelock of Tempe, Ariz. writes, "A 1958 car is expensive transportation. At 13 mpg of premium fuel and an estimated 12,000 miles travel per year, the total for gas and oil would be over $300 a year. When you consider depreciation the expense is nearly prohibitive. I estimate that the total cost for 12,000 miles will be close to 20 cents a mile."

Crap $300 a year for gas and oil? lol. My how times have changed.

Reason #4

PERSONAL ECONOMIC SITUATION
Allen Butler of Lexington, Ky. explains, "In June of 1958 I was laid off, discovered my wife was pregnant, started to college, found out I am about to be drafted, and became aware that my dog has worms. Now your magazine, the president of the United States, and every car salesman class me as a demon undermining out whole economy. My main reason for not buying is that a car is a major item in my budget. In most cases the old car can be made to last a little while longer, so when finances must be stretched, the automobile takes the cut."

Sounds like a country song. I guess times really haven't changed all that much.

Recall that beginning in the fourth quarter of 1957, when the 1958 models debuted, the US entered a nasty recession. The Edsel didn't have a chance!

On a lighter note, anyone remember the tiny tissue paper credit card copies and the little clipboard they used at gas stations through the 70s?

Anyone still own an oil can spout? I have at least one!

How about when states (Maryland at least) issued new metal plates every year, and everyone had to renew at the same time? I remember standing in line with my mother to get tags, and the line went out the door and wrapped around the building into the parking lot!

440shorty

Yeah....

On a lighter note, anyone remember the tiny tissue paper credit card copies and the little clipboard they used at gas stations through the 70s?

Anyone still own an oil can spout? I have at least one!

440shorty

Yeah, I’ve still got a pour spout for the tin top, card board cans..
I’ve got some early credit receipts around also...
Going even farther back, I still have a few of these, from the 30 gallon
drum days, which were used to refill the glass bottles.... 30 & 40 weight.

dsc05933rh3.jpg

dsc05934lq6.jpg

And this cool little service record book with 18 blank pages.... :cool:
I’ve some other goodies like this, once I rediscover their location, post move.... :confused: ‘22

scan0076ul7.jpg

scan0077sv7.jpg

dsc05936xd2.jpg

I can remember gas wars in the 50's when gas was .05 cents. I bought my first car,a 31 A for $45.00 with spare motor and trans. I bought a 49 Merc 2dr. with a broke starter for $10.00. Man, bein' poor was fun back then. Here's some pumps I restored. Notice the price board on the tall American.
Old Gas Pumps.jpg

Very Nice !!!

Nice looking pumps you have there, RuffTin. :cool:
Always been partial to the Richfield stuff myself...
Thankjs for sharing those.. '22

lets see im 24,the cheapest i remember gas is 89.must have been around 95,i was 11..................by the time i started driving i think it was around $1.19

Latest posts

Back