grammas sewing machine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i recently decided i wanted to learn to sew
so i bought a really cool WHITE sewing machine
then i got a HUSQVARNA one
when i told my baby sis about them she said
hey i have grammas old one do you want it?
i said yeah for 2 reasons
1 it was hers and i adored her
2 i really dig old things
what i didnt realize is that this is a heavy duty gear driven model 15-91 singer in a pretty burl cabinet model 47

i saw a youtube vid of this model breezing though 10 layers of canvas and 4 layers of leather
it didnt even slow it down

Sorry billy....didn't mean to NEEDLE you...

SEW what are your plans?...you gonna get into the interior business? I think the only weak link in that heavy duty machine is the needle itself.....keep us posted on your leather and vinyl work...SEAMS like a plan to me.... :D..sorry, it's really slow at work and I'm bored.....

There is a code on the plate (I think located near the foot) that can tell you exactly what year that was made.

Cool find! My mother-in-law collects old Singer machines.

Sgt, Sgt, Sgt. Making up for lost time eh?
My wife has been a seamstress in everyway but name. Even had an embroidery Bizz at one time.
Those are great old Machines. Check into a leather needle if that's the way you go.
There used to be a company that made body armor near us and they pieced out a lot of their work so there are a few commercial machines that come up for sale. around here. Going to grab one someday.
Torchie.

Must be talking about Second chance ?

Sgt, Sgt, Sgt. Making up for lost time eh?
My wife has been a seamstress in everyway but name. Even had an embroidery Bizz at one time.
Those are great old Machines. Check into a leather needle if that's the way you go.
There used to be a company that made body armor near us and they pieced out a lot of their work so there are a few commercial machines that come up for sale. around here. Going to grab one someday.
Torchie.

....I used their products for years....from what I understand they bought some junk kevlar and made a crap ton of vests out of it and found it to be defective....the cost of of replacing all the vests was devastating to their business...are there machines out their now?

My Auntie had a Singer like that was foot powered!

BoB

We still have my grandmother's machine. When we were little buggers, my brother and I would team up and rock the treadle by hand 'til it red-lined and threw the rope leather "belt". [ddd

singer1.jpg

We still have my grandmother's machine. When we were little buggers, my brother and I would team up and rock the treadle by hand 'til it red-lined and threw the rope leather "belt". [ddd

singer1.jpg

My Grandma had that machine too. I remember here working that foot pedal while she worked.

My grandma got one used in 1924 when dad was born, gave it to my mom at some point and she raised 5 kids doing all the patching and making dresses for my 3 sisters. Mom's gone now but the machine is still in great working order and still in the family.
The 15-91 is a great old straight stitcher, I wouldn't pass one up. I have 4 cabinet singers now, another wouldn't take up much more room. My favorites are the 400 and 500 series. The one I use is a 500 "Rocketeer"

my wife has her grandmother's old atlas and cabinet with both foot power and electric power. looks just like a singer right down to the gold leaf. she says it was atlas before it became singer. i do know that they stopped making atlas in around 1914 but can't find much on them.

My grandma got one used in 1924 when dad was born, gave it to my mom at some point and she raised 5 kids doing all the patching and making dresses for my 3 sisters. Mom's gone now but the machine is still in great working order and still in the family.
The 15-91 is a great old straight stitcher, I wouldn't pass one up. I have 4 cabinet singers now, another wouldn't take up much more room. My favorites are the 400 and 500 series. The one I use is a 500 "Rocketeer"

I got a 503a rocketeer yesterday for $10 in excellent condition.
the table and everything

15-91 is a great old machine but those Huskys are just a tractor. Is yours a 2 speed.
I like the direct drive Singers. The 400 and 500 series from the 50s-60s were about the epitome of sewing machine toughness and technology. I use a 500A "Rocketeer"

15-91 is a great old machine but those Huskys are just a tractor. Is yours a 2 speed.
I like the direct drive Singers. The 400 and 500 series from the 50s-60s were about the epitome of sewing machine toughness and technology. I use a 500A "Rocketeer"

Husqvarna viking

Latest posts

Back