Grille shell dimensions needed.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallBlock Jimmy

I am trying to find a grille shell that fits one of the two radiators I have and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what the inside width of a 32 shell and maybe also a model-A shell? Thanks very much!!

I was at Iola this past weekend and I saw some nice shells but some of the prices were in the 4 digit range :eek: and that was for the later 30s truck grilles, not even the rusty 34 grilles but there were a few model A shells for a reasonable price.

SBJ. My 32 Ford shell is approx. 18 inches in width by approx 26 inches in height at the center peak. That height measurement does not include the apron part of the shell that hangs down in front of the crossmember, but rather the area where the radiator resides. I can't answer for the other shells.

I measured mine, and it is hard to get an exact measurement because they are not straight up and down, but taper and curve around. But the Model A was about 21 inches at the widest spot, and my '32 was 20 at the widest spot.

Most shells of that era are going to be in that range I think.

Don

Thanks fellas very much!! I have one radiator with a 19" width (minus the mounting tabs) and the other is closer to 20" (again minus the tab ears). I may use an A shell after all as they were so plentiful and reasonably priced at 50bux for an okay one. Thanks again Don and Gastrick!

Here is a sugestion for you make a heavy paper pattern of your radiator and take it with you when you are shopping if it wont fit in the grill shell you are looking at that shell wont work. Or you can do as I am doing - find the grill that really turns you on and modify it to fit.That way you will have the oniy one like it.LFE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back