half-hemi???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoodfreak

Any of you guys know anything about a 354 spitfire motor? It's sitting in a 58 saratoga. Are these worth messing with? The guy won't give me a diffent price-wants to do some trading for the whole car. I'm thinking this may be a cool motor for my 37 gmc. Any thoughts??

Anything that's not a chebby is worth fooling with. Don't let it get away if you can deal with him reasonably. Contact Bob Walker, or just about anyone that answers the phone, at Hot Heads.

If a motor with parts that are hard to find and won't get out of the way of a flathead Ford, then it may be for you! [ddd

Toad

As we all know the Chrysler hemi, 1st generation, came out in 1951. the next development of the hemi-based engines occurred in 1955. a smaller 301 cid version of the Chrysler hemi engine was released. It had a bore & stroke of 3.625 X 3.625. It also didn't have hemi heads. It had what Chrysler called the Spitfire poly-spherical cylinder heads. The combustion chamber wasn't a true hemi, but the valves were canted, and they were still located in a cross-flow arrangement. Rather than being directly opposite as in the hemi, the valves were diagonally opposed in the poly head. In many ways this cylinder head design resembled the well-known big block Chevrolet engine introduced in 1965. These heads were also less expensive to manufacture than the full hemi heads and they also used one rocker shaft per head. Interestingly, Chrysler's 1999 Jeep V8 engine has a similar combustion chamber design. The 301 cid Spitfire was replaced in 1956 with two 331 cid versions. The two barrel version was rated at 225 hp, and the four barrel version was 250 hp. A 1957, 354 cid engine became the Spitfire, while the regular hemi was bored and stroked for 392 cid. In 1958 the 354 cid poly-head engines were also up in horsepower, to 290 hp & 310 hp, but it was their last year. The poly head engines, Spitfire, can be identified with their "wavy bottom" valve cover. There were other poly head engines of different sizes but only the Chrysler ones were called Spitfire. The Spitfire and hemi cylinder blocks are basically interchangeable from similar displacements. So basically, if you can find a set of hemi cylinder heads for the size engine that your Spitfire is, just swap them. Check it out first, Hot Heads is a good place to start, to make sure there are no small details that need attended to first. Parts are still available for these engines through a couple of suppliers. There's nothing really special about them but they are not seen that often and might be worth the extra bucks it takes to rebuild it. Or, turn it into a hemi. Hope this helps and good luck.

The guy finally gave me a price-$2500 for the whole car-I was thinking more like $800 tops, so I don't see a deal happening-thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back