Hammers and Dollys

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevord

Hows things? I am about to start doing some body work on my cab but don't have any Dolly's or pannel hammers, I would like to know if there is any type or shape of dolly and hammer combo which every man can't do with out. I dont want to buy a set of Chinese rubbish I want something that will last, I've looked at some at the local auto chain store and didn't like the look of them, so I want to invest in maybe a decent hammer and dolly to start with but don't realy know what shape to get pics would be good, cheers

Last edited:
Honestly the cheap ones have worked fine for me. The main thing I have found is finding as many different ones as possible. I find a lot of them at antique stores/farm sales. Ohh take a file and knock off the casting burrs before you start. Rarely but at times you will get a nick in them this two will need to be fixed with a sanding belt or a file, sanding belt is easier.

If these are tools you plan on having for a long time and using a lot, the only brand to consider is Martin. Most pro bodymen will tell you they are the best. Wood handles and a great feel and control.

Don

I agree Martin are the best I've been doing body work for Over 15 years I've used them all an Martin is the best eastwood carrys a good selection

I use Sykes-Pickavant that I have had forever. BAY ENGINEERS SUPPLIES on Rangitiki st may have them or R.A johnstone has a good selection.

as a bodyman I have a few hammers.

a BFH for the stupid stuff.

a curved "donkey dick" for beating out stuff in awkward places. collision damage, really.

images

but for exterior sheetmetal, I use 1 hammer 99% of the time.

(i have 4 or 5, but the 1 is the best.)

it's a curved chisel body hammer.

153gb_lg.jpg

the brand is Cornwell, but most major brands offer it.

It's my most used tool next to my 1/4" cordless impact.

---

for a dolly I have a 8" section cut off a leaf spring (skinny),

and a fat section from the center, with a 90deg bend in it to make it into an L shape. about 6" long. I heat and beat the bend into it.

it's pretty heavy, but works great for soaking up the inertia of a hammer blow.

cheap dollys can be had a harbor freight, too. they're decent I suppose.

I too agree with wood handles. Personally, I would buy a set to start, and add individual hammers and dollies as you go, or as the need arises.
I have been known to pick up old ones at swap meets and take a grinder to them to clean them or shape them to my liking.
The best dolly I have ever made came from the end of a heavy duty leaf spring. I cut the spring about 8 inches from the eye, smoothed it out, and have probably used it more than any of my other assorted dollies.

Cheap tools seem ok until you finally try Martins or other good tools...after that you'll never be satisfied with junk.

Pawn shops are great places to buy tools...

That is so true pawn shops are a good place to buy tools....that is where I got 60 gallon air compressor, body rasps, and other misc. tools....

Latest posts

Back