Has this been tried

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I will try to explain:
Elephant ear the transmission/motor to the frame. Then elephant ear the front of engine to frame.
Remove frame between elephant ears so the engine becomes the frame

A lot of early tractors were built that way.

Tractors are still made this way but have a lot more cast in them.

Sounds like a recipe for a busted block to me. If it bust while going down the road it's going to get ugly.

I believe this is how Boss Hoss builds their bikes. V8 motorcycles. A small block Chev with a front and rear engine plate is how they do it I think. If I remember correctly they use cast or forged aluminium components to tie it all together.

Having said that, I wouldn't try this without some paid input from an engineer or industrial designer. The stresses on a bike are different than a car. It could be done, but it would need a lot of research and planning.

Gold03

Seems like a lot of risk just to eliminate less than 2 feet of frame. I understand the thinking behind trying it, wow factor, etc - but it would be a case of choosing form over function and safety. Something that would look cool on a fairground poser or show / no-go concept type car. If that was the objective, a Buick straight 8 would look awesome in a speedster style build as a frame member.
Something like some of the cars Steve Grubb creates....

Really was not concern with saving frame work, what I have in my head actually will take more complex frame work.

Just being out of the box.

I also wondered about taking motorcycle spockets and sizing close to engine pulleys, attaching , then run a motorcyle chain on them. So waterpump alternator crank would be chain driven.

I was definitlyl planning on using a inline 6 cylinder for frame thought

The chain will apply a lot more pressure on bearing and eat them up. Plus rotating weight eats horsepower.

You could fabricate a set of frame rails as an under-spine that masquerade as or conceals an oil pan and trusses front to back under the engine...

Really was not concern with saving frame work, what I have in my head actually will take more complex frame work.

Just being out of the box.

I also wondered about taking motorcycle spockets and sizing close to engine pulleys, attaching , then run a motorcyle chain on them. So waterpump alternator crank would be chain driven.

I was definitlyl planning on using a inline 6 cylinder for frame thought

chain drive concept has been done... dont know anything about it.. picture attached.. dont know if it was due to the chain drive, but you can see in the photo the car is on a trailer..

I am getting to many hot rod photos.. cant ever find anything! took me 10 min to find this

Attachments

• bantam2.jpg
    bantam2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 49
Yea I'm voting no on that squabbity setup there with the chain drive....
Looks like they even moved it out further so it wouldnt hit the water pump pulley... ugh!

And on the engine as a stressed member, I think perhaps it is an interesting idea, but I think it would have to be done on a smaller scale than a car as others have mentioned. The other issue is that any time you have to do engine work and the engine or transmission have to come out, now you have a real pain in the rear separating everything, supporting things, brake lines, wiring, etc... doesn't sound like fun to me...

I
Like the hidden frame idea. I could incorporate a tunnel for wires,lines etc..

The project name and future vainty tag is "ALL WRONG".

Thanks for thoughts

Eddie Hill build a twin Pontiac engine dragster using the engines as a member in the top frame tubes. I don't remember if the bottom tubes tied in to the engines. It can be done, and in fact, I've considered it myself.

Overhead cams are chain drive. You can do it on the outside of an engine as well. Need to decide where to put the idler(s) and definitely have a guard around the whole works.

I saw the original Howard's Cam twin sbc dragster when it had chain drive 6-71 blowers. It was a top runner at the time.

I guess I'm struggling with the motivation behind the chain drive.
They have belts that are lighter, and probably stronger than a chain.
Rotational mass is an issue as well.

Eddie Hill build a twin Pontiac engine dragster using the engines as a member in the top frame tubes. I don't remember if the bottom tubes tied in to the engines. It can be done, and in fact, I've considered it myself.

Overhead cams are chain drive. You can do it on the outside of an engine as well. Need to decide where to put the idler(s) and definitely have a guard around the whole works.

I saw the original Howard's Cam twin sbc dragster when it had chain drive 6-71 blowers. It was a top runner at the time.

cast iron has incredible strength in compression and very little in tension

Latest posts

Back