Having second thoughts about project completion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

It seems with the new NC law that it's going to be about impossible for me to register my rod here in NC..
I was on the phone over 45 min with the DMV and various other offices today :(

Now I don't know what to do..
cry.gif

I have a Maine registration and plates in my name right now,
I guess I could either finish it and drive it on an expired registration
(still have 11 months on it till it runs out)

Or finish it and sell it, or sell it as it sits...

I don't know what to do
cry.gif

I ordered a "title" from Maine, but it was not a title, just a set of plates and a current registration in my name, but now NC won't take that as face value anymore, they want to inspect all vehicles over 35 years old..
They do a visual inspection, then send the paperwork off to the home office where they try to run a papertrail on it..

I don't know if it was ever titled in NC, if I apply and it was, I'm stuck..
It was also originaly a 1.5 ton vehicle, but is now registered as under a ton, so the GVRW don't match between the door tag and the registration any more..

Also they have it listed as a model WF-23, when it's a WF-32... grrrr

I do have a bill of sale from the original owner, but that does me no good...

Also if I have not had it registered in another state for 3 years then I will have to have it bonded....

Just a bunch of hoops to jump through now, before it was just go down to the DMV with a current registration in your name and fill out the form

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2796

Last edited:
A suggestion!

I would write SEMA to see if they are doing anything to combat that in your state. They are very involved in that & I'd look to see if there is a movement to repeal those laws! If not, I'd start one!

ISore

what about finding a "home address" in georgia, fla or some state that is not so picky. or apply for a homemade title. or broadway title in alabama. or find a different truck title from nc.

I was talking to a guy in Ohio that said that they passed this law too. he can't go through the title services places anymore either. I hope Kentucky doesn't start this. if so I screwed on a few cars.

I was talking to a guy in Ohio that said that they passed this law too. he can't go through the title services places anymore either. I hope Kentucky doesn't start this. if so I screwed on a few cars.

Better get titles now while you can...

This all happened here WHILE the title service had my paperwork...

I was a few weeks late getting the ball rolling :(

What 'new law(s)' are you talking about ????????????

The last visit I had with NCDMV was '05 and ended up paying $300. to bond a Harley build because I didn't have an MSO for the engine cases.

in some states you don't get a title when you buy an older car. just a bill of sales. title companies have been offering to buy your car from you with just a bill of sale. they register it in their state and then send you the bill of sale back selling it to you. you then could take the bill of sale and a paper stating that they didn't use titles because of the year. then your state would take the bill of sale as owner transfership and issue you a title. well now they are seeing it happen so much that some states are pulling the plug on doing it this way.

This is happening all over, first California, now many other States are getting sticky. It's greed, they realized they are missing out on lots of tax revenue and they want every little crumb. They try to sell it as a move to curb auto theft, but that is a smoke screen.

Years ago I bought a Lincoln Towncar for my wife. It was only a few years old but had a fried engine, so I got a deal on it. I rebuilt the engine and got the tags for it. A little while later I got a letter from the State of Pennsylvania. Some bean counter looked at the value of a Lincoln Towncar and said I underestimated what I had paid for the car and that I owed additional sales tax on it. I wrote back " There are Lincoln Towncars that are worth $ 500 and ones of the same year worth $ 20,000.00. I bought one that had a blown motor and got a deal on it. I claimed exactly what I paid for it."

I never heard back from them.:)

Don

Eh..
Going to pick away at finishing the truck..
I have 11 months to finish and drive it, I'll cross that bridge later....
unless I sell it first.. lol
I'm not on my 52nd car by keeping any of them long :p

Couldn't you just purchase an out of state title, like form Broadway title service and then just transfer the title to N.C. or do they have to inspect all vehicles over 35 years old?

"I have 11 months to finish and drive it, I'll cross that bridge later...."

I like your attitude !!!
Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead !

I think you'll get it worked out if your persistent enough.

Couldn't you just purchase an out of state title, like form Broadway title service and then just transfer the title to N.C. or do they have to inspect all vehicles over 35 years old?

That's what I did, I went with an out of state place and that's how I got the one from Maine..
They don't give you a title though, they give you a current registration and plates in your name, and you use those to transfer the vehicle to yourself in your current state..
In NC now ALL over 35 need to be inspected, and if you have not owned it for 3 years first, you have to have it bonded...

Bunch of BS..

The good news is that by the end of the week I should have the wiring done so I should be able to climb behind the wheel and turn the key and fire it up..

That'll be a big step :D

"I have 11 months to finish and drive it, I'll cross that bridge later...."

I like your attitude !!!
Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead !

I think you'll get it worked out if your persistent enough.

I hope so, I have the original bill of sale, and still know the last owner,
but he never titled it (he owns a warehouse full of old cars that he rents to movie studios)
I called the DMV and they said there is no current title in the system for the vehicle
they said it goes back to 86...

Wow, Im really surprised to heat that N.C. has gotten more resrictive than N.J. I lived down there back in the early 80s and things were really laid back...Except if you wanted to buy some booze!

Latest posts

Back