Haynes Manual

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank p

Probably like most people out there, I learn by doing things on my own with hands on experience and usually I can accomplish most projects without too much difficulty. Any time I have a problem or hit a snag I know that there's someone out there I can ask for advice or assistance with most people willing to help out in what ever way they can.
My son recently bought a car with which I've have no experience on and I thought I'd buy a manual to give me a little guidance.....what a freaking joke! I don't know who compiles the information and pictures in these books but obviously they don't use these books themselves. The information they give and show is so vague and scattered it would be better to not use it at all to avoid the confusion. I have used other manuals in the past to help me out and have gotten plenty of good information from them but not so with the Haynes.
I know I'm going to get replies from those who use Haynes and find their data dead on and I don't mean to step on any toes but I had to rant to get my anger and frustrations out with doing any physical damage to my tools or my sons car.
Okay, I'm done...I feel better now and have cooled off enough to try it again. Maybe I'll have a beer instead.

Chiltons or Motors here.

I have a few Haynes but I don't like them. Just bought them 'cause they didn't have the Chilton in stock.

Same. Seems to me, Haynes used to have the bad habit of not telling how to do something difficult and saying it would need to be taken to/repaired by a professional.

If possible, I search out a copy of the original shop manual.

Haynes manuals quite few years ago weren't to bad. But anymore it's a lot of recycled generic information. I don't doubt that a lot of it stems from the large use of computor contolled systems. If you don't have the codes, monitors or break out box for the vehicle your working on, your out of luck. Not to mention the cost of such equipment and keeping it current. The info Haynes and others can provide is severly limited. The day of the shade tree mechanic is pretty well over. Basic maintenance is all that is left for owners to do on the newer cars.

I agree about the Haynes being very inaccurate and vaque. The best manuals are the workshop manuals that are specific to your car and available from the manufacturer of that car. I have some for Ford Mustangs and they go into every little detail, like what size screw is used, torque, etc. But they are also not cheap. I think I paid $ 100 for mine.

Don

I agree about the Haynes being very inaccurate and vaque. The best manuals are the workshop manuals that are specific to your car and available from the manufacturer of that car. I have some for Ford Mustangs and they go into every little detail, like what size screw is used, torque, etc. But they are also not cheap. I think I paid $ 100 for mine.

Don

But you do get what you pay for. That extra cost is saved tenfold in frustration and wasted time.

Frank Haynes and Chiltons are both a waste of time. Search e-bay for a used shop manual. The REAL one, as stated by the rest of these guys, they are the best, hands down. BTW, what are you looking for, I may just have one. Mitchels has a deal where you can purchase the info for your car and acess it online. Mitchels is better than Chilton and Haynes but not like OEM manuals.

I wouldn't give a dime for every Chilton's manual ever published. They're full of bad data and mistakes. The Haynes books I've used are much better. Then, like said already, the Mitchell manuals are a lot better. I have a bunch of Motor's manuals that I refer to before the rest. Motor gets into more detail and the older ones give a basic description of each system and how it works.The Chilton books have given me a lot of grief and cost many wasted man hours of labor because of stupid stuff like wrong timing marks and ignition timing. You won't find one any where in my library.

Latest posts

Back