Headers Chrome or Black???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUSTY50F1

@$$Fault Junkie
I need to order a set of block hugger headers which would be better. Don't know anything about chrome. Is it worth it or would black be better:D

I have a chrome set on my rock crawler. They have turned blue to dark purple. Mine were the cheap version, but a buddy has the high dollar version. His are blue too. There may be some out there that don't dis-color.

It depends on what you are expecting. Like Bonehead, I've used chrome headers and they turned blue and black. I didn't care for them much. I would go for the black if you want them to maintain the color they were when you installed them. If you are looking for a brighter finish, you could order headers with the bright silver ceramic coating. Those stay nice. I made the headers on my Anglia and then had them coated locally in a cast iron type ceramic finish. You can see them toward the bottom of this photo.

...and the black ones are always cheaper. The ceramic coating does hold up well though. I've also bought black ones and then painted them with spray paint for grills. (Like the ones you cook on) That has a really high heat rating and holds up well for a while.

I use Sanderson Headers out of San Francisco.You can get um C&C Coated or jet coated.I never had them turn any funny colors.I think Don also uses them.I dont think he has had any problems with them either.these are also block huggers.These are C&C coated.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 050.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 050.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
Headers!

Rusty,
I'm not a big fan of chrome headers because of the discoloration but I've also bought expensive ceramic coated headers & although they did not blue... they did dull up over time. I have never tried to buff them up so don't know if that would work but black is also cheaper.

BoB

From my experience the black doesn't stay black, it turns charcoal. A couple of header companies have a polish to get rid of the blueing. Also stainless doesnt blue.

Thanks fellas you've made up my mind for me. I kinda like the black better anyway. Thanks as always ya'll always have good advice.

I agree with the guys, spend a few extra bucks and get ones that are ceramic coated, Commonly called Jet Hot coated, but there are various brands out there.

Chrome not only discolors, it rusts. Black will need repainted in time. The headers on my '27 were coated 17 years ago and still have no rust and are presentable.

BTW, I have two sets of Sanderson headers on my cars, Dan has a set on his '29 too. They are a perfect fit every time, and the welds look great. For some reason, Don bought Patriot headers from Speedway for his T. They were no cheaper, but the quality is nowhere like Sandersons. We spent an hour yesterday with a die grinder making the holes line up with the holes in the heads. We actually had to egg shape some of them to get them to even bolt on. He is going to run them for a while and then switch to Sandersons.

Don

Jet hot coating lasts forever. However, they dull overtime but can be shined with an SOS soap pad and elbow grease LOL. My car cover landed on the hot headers and melted. SOS took it right off and polished it as well.

Chrome headers won't discolor if you coat the insides with axle grease. Car will smoke like crazy for awhile, until the grease bakes in, but it insulates the chrome. Old Harley and roadster guys used to use this trick.

I got my headers yesterday. Got them on, now I can move the engine to where I need it and cut mounts to weld on the frame. So I can set the engine. The black headers look great.:D

Latest posts

Back