HEI or Points?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29desoto

Outside Rose Lodge, OR, which is outside Otis, whi
I have an HEI and an old points distributor for my engine. I am trying to decide which way to go. I understand the points (especially after reading elsewhere here someone fighting thru a stuck set of them!) (I also stole that diagram!). I've gotten a lot of good diagrams from this place. Saves me hours on the 'net, I am sure.

I know HOW an HEI works, but don't know how to test it. Is there a way to test it before I install it? With an unknown quality engine, carb, fuel pump, etc etc etc, I would like to be able to KNOW something is good when I go for the first start.

Any clues? Something a parts store can test? I am semi electrical, having been a telephone man for many years.

Wayne[S

Sam is correct. Just make sure the thing is grounded before you spin it. It may use you as a ground. I bought a HEI distributor for my Ford. I've always run dual points until now. I figured it was time to get some real spark without having to fiddle with it every other day.And you have to remember that if you get out somewhere and need a set of points, chances are the auto parts store you get to won't even know what you're asking for, much less have them in stock.

Sam is correct. Just make sure the thing is grounded before you spin it. It may use you as a ground. I bought a HEI distributor for my Ford. I've always run dual points until now. I figured it was time to get some real spark without having to fiddle with it every other day.And you have to remember that if you get out somewhere and need a set of points, chances are the auto parts store you get to won't even know what you're asking for, much less have them in stock.

you do not want to be used as a ground. lol

Don't leave it hooked to power very long without spinning, I think it can fry the circuits. I've known several F100 owners say they left the key in the 'on' position to listen to the radio, and fried the HEI.

Put it in the engine, connect the 12 volt lead and crank it. No spark = Bad module. Good spark = Good unit. I can think of no excuse to run points! If it is about looks, you can get HEI in a small cap that looks like an old points unit.

If GM Buy Petronix for your points distributor. Looks cleaner than a big HEI:D

I t-t-t-hink-k-k- it works!

I hooked it up to power, had four choices of wires, then gave it a spin. It was clamped in my vise, and apparently I offered it two choices to ground, one being me. Guess what?:(

So now that I think I will go with the HEI, I don't need ballast resistor or coil, right? Just hook it up and hit it and drive off into the sunset?

Thanks for all your help, I was a little reluctant to go with the HEI because I don't really know how they work as well as I understand points. And, yes, the size difference kind of weighed in. But I have decided that I will go with the big, ugly since it came with the car also.[cl[cl[cl

Sam, all my life I have lived by the creed that learning is best accomplished through experience. Yes, I was warned. Yes, next time I WILL LISTEN!!!!

I still can't figure out if the juice got me thru one of the unused three wires, or ran down the obviously metal vise. Did not hold on long enough to trace the current path!

Don't take this kid all day to look at a red horseshoe!

Latest posts

Back