Hello From Texas...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango88

Howdy All --- I don't know if my little project is what most folks would call "Rat" or not but here goes. It's a 1946 Chevy school bus that I'm converting into a mini-RV & traveling rig. Plan to keep the outside pretty much as was but replacing the most of the driveline. Have a rebuilt Cummins 4BT (turbo/diesel) that I'm hooking up to a brand new from the factory Allison 6-speed auto. Stuffing it all in the narrow, Art Deco front end should be ... interesting.

I'm a year and a half into it with still a long ways to go but at least my engine & tranny are about ready to start shoehorning in.

5631568461_3161a6ca4c.jpg

Here it is the day I bought it in Utah...

8308506076_75e55bf137.jpg

...and here it is now.

And just in case anyone here might have one laying around...I am still looking for a stock 5.43 ring & pinion set. Any 1.5 Ton Chevy dually truck set from 1941 to 1952 will work and I will be happy to pay top dollar. I'll put a note in the appropriate forum but thought I'd mention it here as well.

Some great lookin' work going on here and I will try to contribute what I can. Thanks for a great forum with tons of ideas & inspiration.

welcome

build thread, build thread, build thread[;)

please include lots of pics. that thing ROCKS.

goooootttttaaaaaa do one on that beast:D

Later

Welcome! I'm also a bus nut. I've been looking for one for awhile to do a rv conversion on. Hard to find them in one piece anymore.

When you start putting your interior in you might go over to the "bus conversion magazine" site. They have a forum for just bus conversions. They are full of helpful ideas and info. And they will love your bus!

Welcome to the RRR....

I cannot believe that someone hasn't made a "short bus" comment...lol...
Cool build...yep need it in the build threads with lots of pics...[P

Welcome from another Houstonian. That is a really nice project and I hope to see it around town soon. Give a shout if you need help.

Paul

Many thanks for the warm welcome! --- And I have to say, without a doubt, this forum has the absolute best and coolest builds anywhere on the net! Some really impressive, ambitious and totally ingenious work going on here. Spent a couple of hours late last night going through some of them and you folks seem to be able to engineer just about anything from nothing. Just wish I had some of the skills this group has.

I'll try to put together a few progress pix here on my very humble build but meanwhile, I do have an album over on Flickr that shows most of it to date. You can see it here...

Tango's Progress Pix

The plan involves keeping the body and chassis pretty much stock. I am building an all steel front door, deleting a couple of windows on each side, constructing a housing in the roof for a window unit A/C and adding a roof deck. The interior will have minimal living quarters. A little jack knife sofa bed, tiny kitchenette and a combination shower/toilet. The rear will be open to carry some of my cement sculpting gear that I tote around the country to teach classes. I have also installed a 44-gallon fuel tank and an equal sized black/gray water tank. One will extend my over the road range to about 1300 miles on a single tank and the other my boondocking stay to about a month.

The bus had a perfectly good 350 Chevy motor and the original, non-synchro 4-speed tranny when I got it, but the combination was only good for about 6 mpg and maybe 45-50 mph. I bought a used Cummins 4BTAA turbo diesel and have rebuilt it throughout and just laid down some big bucks for a factory fresh Allison 2200MH 6-speed auto that together should get me up to highway speeds and yield about 30 mpg. Big difference. I gave the Chevy motor to a bud who runs the ArtCar Museum here in Houston and he is running it in a sweet little '49 Furd Rat Rod that you guys would love...I'll try to get some pix of it too. I traded the 350 out for assistance installing the diesel package into the bus (and need all the help I can get). Good news is that my friend is calling in his helper who was a diesel mechanic and radical car builder for twenty years, so hopefully it will go about as smoothly as any of these things can ever go.

The biggest challenge at the moment is the rear end. I want to keep the original 20" wheels & tires but getting the gearing right has turned into a nightmare. I had been "told" that the bus had the factory stock 5.43 ring & pinion but it turns out that it was equipped with the "optional" 6.17 granny set. And wouldn't ya know it...the computer model shows that the 5.43 would have been perfect for keeping the Cummins dead on the 1800 rpm sweet spot with the double-overdrive Allison! Problem is, it appears that just about everyone back in those days ordered the granny gears and the "standard" 5.43 sets are scarce as hens teeth. Ya gotta' remember that this bus was built before there was a national highway system and most people were more concerned with hauling a load at 45 than cruising at 65 on rough dirt & gravel roads.

I have been on the hunt for over a year now and no luck so far.

The other option would be to splice a newer center section with more gearing options onto my axles, but I don't have the skill set some of you guys have or the budget to job a project like that out. Not sure where to go from here on this one. I am certainly open to any ideas you folks might have. In the meantime, I have put a ring & pinion request over on the parts wanted section of the forum. Who knows, maybe someone here has one left over from upgrading their project.

Gotta' get back to work now but here's a coupla' more pix...

5681972931_08dfa70000.jpg

This is the basic interior layout done in the free, Google SketchUp program.

6233017749_f4612c5ab5.jpg

Pretty basic dash on these rigs. The wipers appear to be some old Brit/Lucas arrangement with a cable that runs across. It has to go.

6887983322_4ba07d5f4c.jpg

Hanging the big ass fuel tank (it's all in now, complete with a steel rock guard)

8005198292_7ec9bf8eba.jpg

The combination black/gray water tank.

8005202756_f7eefe7444.jpg

Sure do hope that Cummins can be stuffed in this hole.

8137327159_b3d7724926.jpg

The door turned into a nightmare. Turns out the sides of the bus have a very slight amount of curve that had to be accommodated.

8156331355_0e81d53fc8.jpg

This is the A/C housing that goes through the rear part of the roof. The roof deck will be at the same level and run all the way to the front.

and finally...

8290133966_d77a46a0d5.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I have ever seen a transmission this clean & shiny.

Once again, many thanks to the folks who built this forum and all the creative geniuses who make it so cool & inspiring.

All my best - Tango

Little juggling and I think that cummins will be home...

looks like you've got a ton done already.....what is done looks darn nice....very nice....[P

Thanks again for the encouragement, but my work pales compared to what I see on this forum. All of you guys seem to casually yank bodies off and re-shape frames and stuff in crazy cool powerplants and fab more neat stuff from scratch than any bunch I've ever seen.

And, speaking of powerplants...here's the basic skinny on my Cummins...

4BTAA
(4 cylinder, turbocharged, intercooled diesel - 238ci)
Holset hx35w Turbo
130 hp @2300 rpm
327 ft/lbs torque @1700 rpm

The bus originally came with Chevy's "Loadmaster" 235 ci straight six rated at 90hp and 189ft/lbs so the little Cummins should be more than adequate at 44% more hp and 42% more torque.

And BTW, for any Crazies out there...
the very same little 4BT can be turned up to over 850hp & more than 1,000 lbs with the stock bore & stroke! Mostly just tweaking the turbo(s) and injectors. Like I said...NUTS!

Hmmmm...I wonder if the Moddies could move everything from #14 and up over to the "Build Area"? If not, I can start a new thread there. Just lemme' know.

Latest posts

Back