Hello, i have some questions.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad_max

Hello, I build my first Rat Rod, in live never seen Rat Rods. So I have a question about the proportions of the frame. At killbillet I found a topic of one guy who builds his Rat Rod (nickname 70_Fastback)
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=22071
And I liked his proportions. Who realties can ask him about the size that I mentioned in a photo? I myself can not ask becouse killbillett cant activate my account for a long time. Thanks in advance to all and sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Hey Mad Max, Yep, that is a good looking frame. Base your measurments on what axles, motor, cab, and suspension you are going to use.

Where are you from?

I agree 100% with Bonehead. You don't start with the frame. First you get the body, engine, rear axle, and front axle you are going to use, mock those up, and then build the frame to fit THOSE components.

You also say you have never seen a rat rod. That needs to change. You need to go to some shows and look at lots of cars before you formulate a plan of what yours will be like. You need to find one that you particularly like and go from there.

I understand your enthusiasm, but you are going about it backwards. :)

Don

A lot of the dimensions you are looking for are in the build thread

For example.. the wheel base is.. 142" its a long truck.

But the other guys are right, you should have all the other components figured out, different cabs/bodies will need different lengths, if you run leafs out back you most likely wouldn't need as much of a kick up in the rear

The above is some good advice from some good people. That's how I do it unless I am doing a vehicle where I want to keep the stock wheelbase. Then I work around that and fit everything within those dimensions. Proportins are everything in my opinion. Be careful with the decisions in that area. Think about it. Mock things up where you think they look the best and all the parts fit, them build the chassis accordingly. Good luck and ask questions when you need to. People are always willing to help out with advice.

Thanks very much for help, guys.
Many components are already available, the cabin, front and rear suspension, engine. All elements from old cars, you do not even know their names .)))) Like VOLGA and ZIL.
I would like to do the same proportion as at the Rat Rod in the first post. At least I need the sample size. I do not want to make a mistake.
I'm from Europe, the country called Finland.
Cabin allready chopped about 4 inches.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back