Hello - New to this Forum

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Travis

Hello from Missouri - I’m an old hot-rodder who has been out of the loop since the early eighties and now have some free time to get back into my old bobby. I found this forum just by chance last month and have enjoyed reading the threads and especially the builds. There is some real talent out there, in fact it is a little intimidating for a guy like me to make a post about what I am working on. I have some pretty decent tools and a decent place to work but using them with skill is something I am working on. I’m somewhat of a hack compared to some of the fabrication skills I have seen on this forum.
Anyway I am working on a late 20’s coupe. The old body was so bad that I have not yet figured out what it is. I think it might be a late 20’s Chrysler or Dodge but not sure. I hope to post some pictures of it when I get it a little further along. I have chopped the top 3” and channeled it 8” leaving hardly any head-room while sitting flat on the floor. I may end-up reducing the amount of channel drop. Going to use a V8 Flathead Ford. I have a ’52 big truck motor and trans, it is free, but don’t know if it will run. It will go on a tube Z’ed frame when I get all the body stuff welded up tight. I have a ’40 front and rear-end to work with for suspension.
I’ll probably have some questions from time to time – so don’t be too hard on me when I come up with a really stupid one.

Best Regard
Jim

Welcome to RRR! Post some pics of what you have now -we like rusty parts as much as finished cars - and if you post a picture of that cab, you can bet it will be identified.

And don't worry, a lot of us are learning as we go. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Sam - These pictures are from a couple week ago but will give you an idea what I am working with. The whole left quarter of the cab and frame was rusted off. I found it laying on its side on the back 40 with the left quarter down in a wash or creek bed. I was looking for a budget ride - this one was free.

Attachments

• m_GEDC1373.jpg
    m_GEDC1373.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 23
  • m_GEDC1375.jpg
    m_GEDC1375.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 22
  • m_GEDC1385.jpg
    m_GEDC1385.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 21
  • m_GEDC1386.jpg
    m_GEDC1386.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 21
Welcome Jim

Free is good and the group at RRR doesn't care how long you've been out of the game or how pretty your welds are.... only that you've got the bug and you're building something..... old school, off the wall or simple...... it's all good....[;)

Earthman - We'er in southwest Missouri, the Ozarks, in the little town of Lebanon. Out in the country with my closest neighbor about 1/2 mile away. Plenty of room and losts of privacy. Been here for about 35 years and like it.

Welcome aboard, everyone here will help, and like Sam said there are no stupid questions, we all like to help. Is that an old stude hanging out in the background ?

Welcome aboard, everyone here will help, and like Sam said there are no stupid questions, we all like to help. Is that an old stude hanging out in the background ?

But in that first pic, what is that way, way back there - can kinda see the top? Yeah - we are that big into rusty stuff here.

That doesn't look too bad (some on here have started with less) and you look to be getting at it. Get a build thread going and keep us updated.

Ya LOWANDRATY - Thats my Avanti. It sports a small block 400 and is a blast to drive. Kids always think it is some kind of exotic Italian racer or touring car. Most kids never even heard of Studebaker much less an Avanti.

stude

Hey Jim I know all about those, an older man right down the street from me has one, and it's the supercharged engine, they built a nice car back in the day, I was about 17 when I had my first encounter with one of those, I had a 67 t-bird with a 390 one of my buddies was with me one night and we have a nice long straight interstate right down the road, I burried the speed-o 120 and from no where headlights showed up in my mirror, I never let off, the lights kept getting bigger and bigger in the mirror, and then he passed me like I was running 20 in the fast lane, when we got off the interstate we pulled up to a traffic light a few miles down the road, and there was this beauty sitting there with this old man at the wheel ( at that time he may have been 45 ) he threw his hand up and I saw him laughing, and he drove off, I later found out it he was a well know doctor here and had a few of them.

Ha Studie -
Great story and some great memories for you. Thanks for sharing. The Avanti was a cool car and I think would have had a great future for Studebaker. Their design and performance was way out there for 1963 - but they went belly-up with only two years production of the Avanti. I think only about 4000 were built in those 2 years. As I remember they went out of business with a huge back-log of Avanti orders unfilled.

Welcome aboard. Nice coupe. I too have a Stude, not quite in the same class as your Avanti however. Lets see more of it.

Cycledog - I used to be all-about Studebakers but have lost interest the last couple years and as a result my cars are not currently up-to-snuff. They all need to be tinkered with and put back on the road. I've been messing with some old Hotrods and vintage dirt bikes lately and not giving the Studes any attention. Here are pictures of what I call my "Drivers".
Thanks for the welcome.
Jim

Attachments

• avanti.jpg
    avanti.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Lark.jpg
    Lark.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 1