Hello - New with a '51 Ford F-1, I need talked into ratting it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

Hi there,

I picked up a 1951 Ford F-1 Pickup (just like the one in the banner at the top of this forum) about three months ago out of a field. It was a field in WY so the truck is almost completely rust free and is complete. I've got the engine (6cyl, not flathead :( ) and trans out, bed off, front clip off. Basically it's a frame, rearend (Dana 44) and a cab waiting for a powertrain. I bought a 302 and M5R2 trans for it and I was planning on just making a daily driver out of it. But now I've been bitten by the 1/4 mile bug. I'd like to make a street/strip or pro street truck out of it that I can drive on the streets when I want and still be a threat at the local drag strip on the weekends. With that in mind I am in process of selling the 302 and M5R2 and swapping that setup out for a 351W / c4 or c6 combo.

It's hard to give a clear view of my concept in text version over a forum, but here's an idea. Probably an aluminum console for a ratchet shifter, race seats, aluminum gauge bezel with modern white faced gauges etc.

Now, that being said, I could still put the front clip back on and have a normal looking '51 F-1. But... I really love the 50's, i've been pouring over rat rod mags and loving every minute of it. A big part of me wants to toss the front clip, hang a cool grille (maybe a '32 ford) and headlight buckets and go full on rat rod with dual quads on the 351w, flat paint, open wheels, the full deal. Your thoughts?

TIA,
Joe

Last edited:
Nothing says rats don't have fenders, or a front clip. I say build it however you want. Either way it will be cool.
Welcome to the site.

F-1's look MUCH better with the front clip intact IMO. Taking fenders, hoods, etc. off later model trucks is a fad, like it or not. Besides, you have a complete rust free truck - why waste it? If you build something classic it will always be in style. If not you could wind up looking back with a "WTF was I thinking?" build. Just ask anyone who thought monochromatic paint and splash graphics were the coolest... :p

011-16.jpg

HaHa, I have a dif picture of that truck as my background right now, you read my mind. I did a little snooping around the forum and it looks like that's your truck? I just saw it up for sale on eBay yesterday, what's the story there?

I'm thinking the same only: no chop, stock axle locations, stock bed length (maybe) and a '34 (I was wrong when I said '32) Ford grille.

Maybe I had the wrong idea when I posted that I need talked into this because i've just about fallen in love with the look and I don't see putting the front end back on the truck right now. Plus I had started working on the front end as far as stripping paint and what not, if I left it just the cab and bed I could keep the sweet patina she has right now [cl

Now if I could just convince my wife to get a few more tattoos, use bright red lipstick and do her hair up vintage 50's style... Ahhhh, I guess it's easier to just get the truck looking the way I want instead. :rolleyes:

Ok, i've done a lot of browsing rat rod pics and i've changed my mind on a couple of things. I do want to bring the front axle forward and shorten the bed. What is involved in moving the front axle and is there a certain bed length that looks good with that look?

Thanks again guys, I thought I was excited about this truck before, but going rat rod has brought it to a whole new level.

welcome to the RRR! i like your ideas, and hope to see you build a truck you can enjoy...
as faras bed length, it's all about proportion, and you'll know it when its "right" or "wrong" , D's bed was shorter than mine, but both looked "prportional" to their respective builds...

BTW here's a few pics of the one i built and sold (b/c i was broke!:()

my build thread is on here under "next project" by hotrod preacher but its been a while since built...

Attachments

• last update 001.jpg
    last update 001.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 18
  • last update 002.jpg
    last update 002.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19
  • rat rod update 007.JPG
    rat rod update 007.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • rat rod update 003.JPG
    rat rod update 003.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 23
WELCOME!! Initially I found myself agreeing with the BED as the guy always makes a ton of sense. However sensing your excitement, you gotta do what makes YOU happy, and that orange truck by DMW56 is super cool. You definitly can have a bracket race bomber that is still rattable and streetable and the 351 was the right choice in that direction unquestionably. Either trans C-4 or C-6 will handle the job. Start posting pics!

Sweet Truck to start with! Build it how YOU want it, build it to drive it and have some hella fun in it. Took me way too long to build mine and now I can't wait to build another one just a little different...

Welcome! Build it how you want it[;) I think that is the coolest thing about Rat Rods- there isn't any rules, you make it the way you want, with what you have and on your own budget. Just enjoy it :cool:

welcome to the RRR! i like your ideas, and hope to see you build a truck you can enjoy...
as faras bed length, it's all about proportion, and you'll know it when its "right" or "wrong" , D's bed was shorter than mine, but both looked "prportional" to their respective builds...

BTW here's a few pics of the one i built and sold (b/c i was broke!:()

my build thread is on here under "next project" by hotrod preacher but its been a while since built...

Well that makes it even harder, I like both bed lengths [S

Thanks for chiming in preacher, us preachers have to stick together ;) I'm a licensed minister in the Wesleyan church, almost fresh out of college, but I have been pastor of a small Church in a ranch community for almost two years now. Nothing else like it.

All of you might like this though, i'm going to be starting up a car ministry for another church in the spring. We'll be fixing up used cars to give to single moms etc. and performing repairs for people that can't afford them. I'd like to have my truck done by then to serve as sort of a mascot for the Church's garage.

Thanks again for the reply's guys, the free reign and artistic quality to rat rods is part of what drew me. As far as the front axle is there a website with kits or are most of them homemade setups?

Latest posts

Back