Hello

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneeye

My name is Joe Jewett and I live in the Palisade Minnesota. I am a self employed logger/sawmill operator and also work at a local hydraulic repair shop. I am familiar with fab/building work but never have built a rat rod. I am going to change that this winter! I have been accumulating projects for a while so I have some choices to make on where to start. I have already learned alot from this site and look forward to learning more.

You mentioned Wood....

I once worked bulding garages (Bullock Garages) with a traveling aircraft maintenance engineer. This guy could do any repairs on a plane. When asked what was he doing building garages he smiled and said

"I like the smell of wood"
Actually his wife was going through Chemo and he took the job to be with her and have work while Her mother was nursing her through her ordeal.
They met together rebuilding commercial jetliners.
I'll always remember that guy and that quote. I forget his name, I'm a face person.
he was cool so if you want to quote him...that's what kind of guy he was.

vintage woodmaster.jpg

One of my most recent projects...
sharpen the hard as diamond blades in this vintage Wood Master 12" planer, gauge them back in correctly (they were in "not all the same height" when i got it)
and I've got a pile of used cedar from a couple deck rebuilds to plane down from 1.5" to 1.25"

I'm going to use it in my office. There's a little 15 x 9 addition on the rear of my house with a 7' ceiling and knotty pine car board siding on the walls. I'm going to reframe the 4/12 pitch roof with 4x6 then plank it over with this aged cedar.
The top will get 2" to 4" of recycled roofing foamboard insulation and a layer of plywood to nail the shingles to then Imma Gonna stain and varnish the underbelly of the ceiling cowboy style and the dark mineral staining that seeped into the wood, and the age cracks from when it was deck plank is going to look cool.

Thanks everybody.

Sam, for sheetmetal I have a 50's pickup cab, the back half of a 30's touring car, the back half of an early sedan and a complete late 40's Dodge military truck. A forester that I work with has offered up a T cowl (free!) to go with the sedan body.

For drivetrains I have a crusty ol' 283 that has been in the shed for 20 years and an early 7.3 Power Stroke with an aftermarket Banks turbo and a 5 speed tranny. Ideally, I would like to find an early "short bus" to put the diesel into.

Latest posts

Back