help me decide on an engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I'm working on putting together a 50 f1 rat rod and have 3 different engine options I've been toying with and would like to have your advice on pros/cons of each.

first is a 71 chevy 250 inline 6 that i want to mate to a t-5 from an s-10. I like this option since i think it will get decent fuel economy to be able to actually drive it with out taking out a loan, but I have no idea what kind of power it will produce and most of the inline go fast stuff is way out of the budget sadly.

second option is a strong running 302 that's in a 68 ford truck i have. I don't know the history of the engine but runs strong and has an edelbrock 4 barrel carb on it. It has a 3 speed with it but I'd like to use the t-5 from the s-10 if an adapter is available to mate the s-10 trans to the ford 302. should be plenty of power but fuel mileage will not be great but i feel if i can mate it to the overdrive tranny and being in a lightweight vehicle i would be able to live with it.

third option is a 1953 GMC inline 248 from a friends 1 ton project truck. I love the look of this engine and it is just dying to be used in a rat. Downsides are front engine mounts/bell housing mounts (but I'm sure there are company's that make universal mounts to help me mount it to my frame) it has the 6 cylinder bell housing and I have not yet found an adapter to allow me to run my t-5 on it so I'm stuck on tranny selection. and it has the kick start on the starter and i have no experience with that set up. upside it I can buy the whole complete running engine for 100 bucks.

Let me know what you all think of my options and /or advice on parts that will help either of my option work easier.

I am going to use the first option in my 31 Hudson. But for you, I think option 2 with a 3.00 rear gear.
(my .02)

Your choice!

If it's ecomony you want, go with one of the 6's. Power, go with an 8 and a high rear ratio. Not to sure you're going to get that much better mileage with a 6. My .02.

ISore

Even though I'm running a 250 6 in mine I would probably go for the 302 if it's available. I used a 6 because everything else I have has a V8. The T-5 should bolt right on a Ford bellhousing not positive though. You will still get pretty good milege if the engine is close to stock with the T-5.

well I think i want to go with the 53 248 since i love the look of this engine and just had to have it. I think i can figure out the mounting issues no problem but have to find a way to use the s-10 t-5 and some info about how the kick starter thing works and if i can retro fit it into my rat-rod. Any info on this would help a great deal.

IMO go with the 302, keep it Ford! Seriously if it's still a good strong motor and it's tuned up good, you'll get pretty good mileage, probably as good as any 6 cyl.

In order
Hemi
Olds
Ford flatty
All other Fords
everything else
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
sbc
(mostly joking, sbc fans don't shoot, you can actually put the 351m/400 waaay down the list)

LOL,thanks for the reply Willow. If someone wants to donate a hemi or flatty I'll for sure run that but for now my options are the 3 i listed since i already have them. I'm talking to a couple guys from inliners.org about adapters to run the 248 mated to a 200r4, i know it's an auto and i really want a manual shift but oh well, build it with what ya got around;)

250s are great if you don't have that junk intergrated head.
The 302 would be my choice but get the Ford T5 and it can be a bolt up deal. It should get decent milage. I have had sbf engines get mid 20s in stock form.
The jimmy would have cool factory but parts are expensive if a build is needed.

BTW, you can get an overdrive tranny that will bolt right up to your 302, there were several versions in light trucks and vans in the late 70s-early 80s. One is actually virtually indistinguisable from a regular toploader. There was a topshift version also used in some jeeps and the SROD version. I have one of the toploader versions found at a junkyard for $150 with shifter.

Latest posts

Back