Help needed with front steering!!!!!!!1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectF1rat

Banned
Hey guys I am using a 51 ford front axle with spring behind set-up. i would like to use a steering behind setup. but as you know everything is in the way. Does anybody make lowered steering arms for a 51 axle. I know they have them up to 48. also how do I make front steering. Do I just swap spindle side to side. Also what are my options as far as front steering setup and with front steering how would I hook up the column and gear box. Please help me out with any input. Check out the pics. Thanks guys[S

Attachments

• 100_3994edited.jpg
    100_3994edited.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_3980edited.jpg
    100_3980edited.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_3977edited.jpg
    100_3977edited.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3978edited.jpg
    100_3978edited.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_3989edited.jpg
    100_3989edited.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 142
To hookup the steering from the column, you need to take the top 2 bolts out of the spindle that bolts the backing plate on and buld a big "u " shaped arm that is threaded on the ends that will go in the place where the 2 bolts came out of also you weld in a plug made to except the tie rod end that goes from steering box arm to pittman arm you just made in the end of the "u ". Also the tie rod arms will have to be made from you arms you have or custom made. Email me and i can send you some pictures. You can heat the stock arms and bend them. There made of really good steel just dont get them hotter than it takes to bend them. " dull red " and best to do this in low light as possible so you can see color of heat clearly. This is all real old school work. You know you can use 63 ford econoline spindles and brakes too if you custom make king pins. I,ve done all this and i,ll help you all i can if you want. Email me.
Bob
[email protected]

How about some pics, I'm doing the EXACT same thing to a 49 axle. I got the same brackets as well. Post some pics, I want steering in front on mine.
What spring you runnin' there?

It looks like your king pins are straight up and down - (no caster) you need to have a little positive caster, minimum 4 degrees - positive is tilted towards the firewall. One of the reasons for caster is so you dont have to fight your wheels back straight after a corner - even without power steering you can one hand it. From what I see some angled shims under your u-bolt brackets should do the trick. Nice start!

Front steering with the F1 spindles have been done two ways. First is to change the spindles from side to side and bend the arm. One thing to remember when bending the arms, just make them hot enough to bend and let the cool slow. The best way to let them cool slow is to put them in a bucket of dry sand. Just make sure bury them in the sand.

The second way is to cut of the arms and use bolt on arms. Just make sure the arms are for front steering. The F1 spindles should have the same backing plate bolt pattern as the 40 - 48 spindles.

Front steering with the F1 spindles have been done two ways. First is to change the spindles from side to side and bend the arm. One thing to remember when bending the arms, just make them hot enough to bend and let the cool slow. The best way to let them cool slow is to put them in a bucket of dry sand. Just make sure bury them in the sand.

The second way is to cut of the arms and use bolt on arms. Just make sure the arms are for front steering. The F1 spindles should have the same backing plate bolt pattern as the 40 - 48 spindles.

Well I am going the bolt on arm set up. I had ordered at set of steering arms for 48 spindles, but the didnt fit around the king pin area bolt pattern was correct. So I called ron pope and he is going to make a set that drop down about 2" to clear the king pin area. Thanks for your input

Change the spindle from side to side? Or do you mean flip 180º? Doesn't that steering arm come off with the big nut? Then flip it/bend it then? I'm going to do this to my front end, just bought a 49 front axle. Any pics out there...

I know this is an older thread but I am using a '51 axle like tis, I am also wanting to swap to a front steering type, can I just flip the axle side for side? like mount it left on the right, or is it best to swap sides with the spindles? Or can I just afb up some front steer arms and such?
I'm not starting to assemble the car for another month or two so I have time to fab up some stuff, this is the first truck axxle I've used so it's fun and different for me.
I know I'm getting long winded but any pics of these front ends completed?
Thanks everyone

took some measurements tonight and heres where i'm going;
remove the factory stuff leaving just the spindles in their stock location(side)
I am going to fab up a bracket(plate type) for the front steer for each spindle that will bolt to the lower set of holes and put the tie rod out front, then on the drivers side I will fab up a bracket for the drag link to connect to the pitman (probably plate type as well to keep the look) just have to get my front brake stuff first to make sure it's all going to clear good, I'm really just copying what I build for regular front steer setups, making some minor changes to fit things in right.

took some measurements tonight and heres where i'm going;
remove the factory stuff leaving just the spindles in their stock location(side)
I am going to fab up a bracket(plate type) for the front steer for each spindle that will bolt to the lower set of holes and put the tie rod out front, then on the drivers side I will fab up a bracket for the drag link to connect to the pitman (probably plate type as well to keep the look) just have to get my front brake stuff first to make sure it's all going to clear good, I'm really just copying what I build for regular front steer setups, making some minor changes to fit things in right.

Speedway probably sells these pieces, if your interested!!

Latest posts

Back