Help on front axle stuff......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glen1978

Ok building a little 41 Chevy cabbed rat. Custom framed, short bed, the normal. Looking at front end stuff and Im just overwhelmed! Ive read, looked, researched, everything and my mind is tired. I want to do a suicide front with hairpin type setup. Ive looked at Speedways stuff and can get a full setup with new disc brakes for around $1K. Is there anything stock that I can get and use. Found a 49 Chevy pickup pretty cheap that I could prolly use the bed off of also. Is there anything on that front axle that I can use? Also found an Econoline spindled/braked 2" drop tube axle for sale. I would like to have drum brakes for looks but its not a "have to have". Thanks for any and all help.

You can use that whole front end, from either of those trucks. We make adapters to mount them suicide style.
P1010034-4.jpg

Being a newb the Speedway kit really isn't a bad deal. It's complete, new, tested and safe. I know it seems like a big chunk of change, but for a complete tried and true front end that you can bolt on it's money WELL spent. Not to mention it LOOKS like it should be on a hot rod, unlike most of these converted truck axle nightmares out there. Keep it clean and simple.

My $.02

Thanks everyone. If I knew more about this era stuff, AND I WISH I DID, I would be alot more comfy piecing one together. I mean this axle, with this spindle, this set of brakes and this bearing and that bearing is over my head. Im not one to try and know more than I actually do.....that crap cost money and could get me or someone else hurt. I noticed on the Speedway kit they offer either Ford or Chevy steering kits. Will both of these bolt onto there straight axle kits? The Chevy is the cheaper of the two by around $100 bucks.

RPM do you offer a kit like Speedway does? Ive seen good reviews on your stuff and saw somewhere where you were a bit cheaper too. Been meaning to send you a PM about it.

Thanks everyone. If I knew more about this era stuff, AND I WISH I DID, I would be alot more comfy piecing one together. I mean this axle, with this spindle, this set of brakes and this bearing and that bearing is over my head. Im not one to try and know more than I actually do.....that crap cost money and could get me or someone else hurt.

[cl Congratulations on a good and SMART attitude going about your build. A lot of people would get more done with less problems if they shared your common sense. You are right, piecing together front ends can be tricky sometimes, and is not for the novice.

If RPM can set you up with a similar kit then I would definitely reccomend the small business, if not then there is nothing wrong with the Speedway kit. I have used it many times in the past, always with great results.

Good luck with your build!

BTW, not sure what you mean about Ford or Chevy steering options front axle-wise. Do you mean spindles? There are differences in the spindles, depending on what brakes you want to use. What type of steering you are considering will also play into the equation - traditional, cross steer, etc.

Thanks man, Im not above taking advice. Well I see now they offer drop axle kits for Ford and Chevy, then you pick your steering/brake kit. Chevy is $499 and Ford is $599 does it matter which one I use, something better about one or the other??

Both Ford and Chevy PLAIN 4" spring behind axle kits are backordered at the time.....bout my luck. But they do have the steering/brake kits instock. Here is the Ford one.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-...48-Inch-Axle,35260.html?parentDisplayId=36589

I like this steering setup in this pic. Believe this is crossover and Im more familiar with it coming from rockcrawler background. Although this axle appears to be a converted parallel leaf axle.
2011-09-11144409.jpg

I like Ford spindles personally - for looks, adaptability and ease of service. Speaking of looks, why not go with the Ford spindles, upgrade your kit and go with an I-beam axle? Maybe they will have them in stock and cut you a break on the price if you tell them you need it "now". I'm not opposed to tubes, but beam cars have a lot more hot rod flavor IMO.

Cross steering presents some unique obstacles when used in a spring-behind setup, but it can be done. Looks like you're doing some good research...

Hmm, yeah you got a point there man on the "need it now" thing. Might try that.

Also can you elaborate more on the spring behind issues your talking about? Also you say looks, adaptability and ease of service......would any of this matter if I were buying new from Speedway? I mean is it necessary to have for another $100 dollars....not brakin your balls just wondering because I dont know. I do agree on the Ibeam vs. tube.

One other question that maybe I can get answered. What is the main difference to go spring behind vs. spring over? Ride height?

Well I think I got it figured out. I love to parts chase and thats what I been doing all day long at work (yeah I got a good job like that). Here is what Im thinking. Let me know if Im going about this wrong.

1.) Super Bell 48" 4" drop I-beam axle I found
2.) bolt on batwings from RPM for behind the axle spring mounting
3.) hairpins and clevis' from RPM
4.) spring mounts/shackles from RPM if they have em.
6.) Posie spring
7.) Ford or chevy spindles and some kinda disc brake setup....RPM has this too but not sure how complete the kit is. The one on Speedway is VERY complete down to brake hoses, clips, and the cross-over steering arm.

Sound ok? I might can piece some of the steering/brakes out since most of it is the same stuff used in dirt track cars and Day Motorsports is local. If something sounds WAY off please let me know.

Ok, yeah dang near exactly.....diggin the inline 6 too. Well Im off to your build thread! Thanks!

Couple questions. Where did you get your bolt on batwings. Did you get the whole steering/brake kit from Speedway?

Ok, great. Man there proud of those bolt on batwings. RPMS's are only $35 bucks!

Still doing some research on the Chevy vs Ford spindles. That link you posted up about the brakes said "not for bolt on steering arms".....what other kind is there?

Latest posts

Back