Help on my CHOP!!! DODGE Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wampler234

I am getting ready to chop the top on my dodge and im wondering what the best way to do it would be... it is a 49 dodge pilothouse and im wanting the end result to look something like this dodge he says it started out as a pilothouse too any help would be great guys!! thanks!! Just looking for pointers where to make my cuts etc. looks like he made them in different places from the front to rear.

Heres the link to his truck.
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=20969

what is the purpose of cutting the front window frame in a different spot compared to the rear cut? Ive seen alot of people cut in different spots?

Before you attempt any chop you should purchase and thoroughly read Tex Smith's "How To Chop Tops" - it is required reading for any hot rodder's library. It shows and explains real techniques and theory on a LOT of different vehicles and will answer most any question you have regarding the topic. Save yourself someheadaches and avoid a potential nightmare...

Generally, you want to take out the piece with the least amount of curve. In the front pillar, that may be in a different place than at the rear. The rear corner, I'd probably cut about 1/2 way up to leave some metal on both remaining sections to adjust for alignment. Think about the rear window too.

Keep in mind you'll need to take out a longer piece from the a-pillar since it leans. On my Olds, I had to remove over 5" from the front for a 4" chop.

Take a couple day with a measuring tape, a laser level, a role of duct tape, and bucket (to sit on and stare at it) and get it right before you start cutting. It'll save a lot of grief.

Take a look at my Olds chop - I changed plans on my A-pillars mid stream and it really shows it wasn't thought out as well as the rest.

how much

post some pics, we like lots of pics and l would like to see what the truck looks like.

how much are ya planning to cut out?

before l decided not to chop mine, l was was thinking 4" in the rear and 4 1/2 in front. would'a give a cool rake to the roof.

l had planned to cut just under the rear windows and 1/2" right above the body line on the rear of the cab and remove the center post from the windshield. then put in a one piece windshield or V-butt it.

if l ever get rich l may do the chop on mine:D

Later:cool:

Generally, you want to take out the piece with the least amount of curve. In the front pillar, that may be in a different place than at the rear. The rear corner, I'd probably cut about 1/2 way up to leave some metal on both remaining sections to adjust for alignment. Think about the rear window too.

Keep in mind you'll need to take out a longer piece from the a-pillar since it leans. On my Olds, I had to remove over 5" from the front for a 4" chop.

Take a couple day with a measuring tape, a laser level, a role of duct tape, and bucket (to sit on and stare at it) and get it right before you start cutting. It'll save a lot of grief.

Take a look at my Olds chop - I changed plans on my A-pillars mid stream and it really shows it wasn't thought out as well as the rest.

Good advice, except for the bucket. I prefer an adjustable height roller stool, allows for optimum maneuverability/lines of sight/and minimal getting up unless completely necessary.

Check this out my thread and see if you find some inspiration. Notice my mistake and try not to do that. Something I found was it is easier to make a few more cuts then weld them back together to get proper alignment than it is to try and pull everything in to place. And make sure you brace the cab very well before you cut it apart.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16828

i think im planning on cutting out 5 inches... i thought about cutting below the rear window and just above the body line but i think im going to tke five out of all the windows...

I took 4 out and wouldn't advice much more in the back window. Mine is useless not that it was much before..... measure carefully. I am 6'4" and with the seats I am using the height is perfect. I have about 2" left above my head. Take your time and plan well. I bought the book they are talking about and it does help a lot.

yeah i have been looking for the best price on that book so i can get it... i could care less about the back winder... once its all done i belive it will have a tow body on it any so its going to be hard to see otherwise... what did you take 4 inches out of?

Latest posts

Back