Help with firewall

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc27

I'm putting a chevy v8 in my 29' model a sedan, how far back does the firewall need to be moved? I will be using the small cap distributor.

Thanks
Larry

You need to establish where you want your engine to be based on more important parameters such as steering, front x-member, oil pan, maybe the rad and grill, the cowl, room inside for your feet etc. Then move your firewall accordingly. Some folks allow as little as 3/4" behind the largest part of the radius of the dizzy cap. Cut out just enough of the firewall initially to mock up your engine in tranny in the position you are happy with, and then finish up with the firewall clearance. From there work back building your trans tunnel etc. There is a lot to consider, SAFETY is #1, then COOL.[;)[;)[;)[;)

with my cab i cut the whole firewall out and fabbed in an outer 1x1 square tubing frame and attached that to my floor frame for when i mount the body to the frame. gives me wide availability to adjust for all aspects of motor and floor mounting. im not reskinning the firewall and floor till all aspects are mocked into place.

Firewall

Thanks for the reply. When I bought the sedan the engine mounts were already welded in. I'm going to have the engine in a few weeks and I'll try it like you suggested

Firewall

I have seen a steel wheelbarrow body used to make a recessed firewall. Looks reallg good, and it is cheap!

Latest posts

Back