Hey it was free

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Yeah I cant believe I drove 2 hours to bring this home but it was free and my father in law gave it to me, So I am the proud owner of a 1962 rust bucket, If I didnt take it it was going to the crusher. I power washed the whole thing because it had a thin layer of moss on the whole thing, next was to see why it wouldnt stay running, oh imagine that its out of gas and you know why? well there is a whole in the tank. Its now repaired and runs smooth, but the water pump is leaking. Im not sure if it is the original engine there is a tag on it from a shop that gives a date of 5/24/71 and bore of 040 but it doesnt tell me what size it is,im thinking maybe 283 or 327 can anyone tell by looking at it? I see that there is no oil filler cap on the valve covers instead its on the front of the manifold I dont know if that means anything? I also want to lower the front but I am not sure what bolt or nut to loosen on the torsion bars. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00148[1].JPG
    DSC00148[1].JPG
    57 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00150[1].JPG
    DSC00150[1].JPG
    61 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00154[1].JPG
    DSC00154[1].JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00153[1].JPG
    DSC00153[1].JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00151[1].JPG
    DSC00151[1].JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 78
Yes... put it on the low down!!! I would have driven 2 hours to pick up a free pickup like that! Good catch & I think most of those trucks came with 283's! [cl

BoB

Yeah I dont even think Im going to do body work or paint, I think its to far gone for me but I want to tune it up ,lower it and maybe throw on some cheap narrow white walls. but how do I lower the front?

It has springs up that you would have cut coils out of to lower then re-align it. I would hold off on that and get it good and dependable first, it's a cool old truck that has survived many years don't kill it right off the bat.

It has springs up that you would have cut coils out of to lower then re-align it. I would hold off on that and get it good and dependable first, it's a cool old truck that has survived many years don't kill it right off the bat.

No coils, torsion bars.

I would simply get it running good and fix stuff like brakes , fuel lines, tires, etc to make it dependable and safe, and drive it. A shop truck that you can toss stuff into without worrying about hurting anything is a good thing.

When I was remodling my one home I bought an old 60's Ford pickup and only used it to run back and forth to the lumber yard, but it paid for itself. I think I am going to look for another beater pickup just to haul stuff around the shop.........my Son Dan has a newer pickup but God forbid anything would ever scratch it! :eek: A truck like yours is just perfect to use and abuse.

Don

Give us the code on the boss above the passenger side of the water pump. I'm saying a 283.

I found it its fa20308fII25m. and I lowered it about three inches up front now its time to tune it up.

Attachments

• DSC00161[1].JPG
    DSC00161[1].JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00159[1].JPG
    DSC00159[1].JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00160[1].JPG
    DSC00160[1].JPG
    58 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back