Hidden Treasure

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
When my Dad passed away, he had all these tools I had to get rid of. There was a full size drill press that wouldn't fit in my garage. I gave it to a friend, I met at the gym. I took it to his house and we carried it into the garage.

In the corner of the garage, I saw a car under a car cover. I said, "Hey, that a Corvette!". He pulled the cover off and it was a 63' Split Window. I said, "Wow, when did you get this?". He said he had bought it brand new in 63'. 327 and 4 speed. Even had the redline tires.

A lady in my area got married in 57'. She went to the local chevy dealer and bought a black 57' Chevy convertable with red interior. Fuel injected 283. She drove it home, put it in the garage and covered it. It has 16 miles on it.

Any other hidden treasure?

When I was 17 (1987) and itching for a car, I went to a farm sale with my dad. After all of the tractors and crap had been sold, they went to the barn to pull out a car that had been in there since 1968. It was a '67 SS396 Chevelle, blue with white stripes, still on the original PolyGlas tires.

The farmer's kid bought it, drove it for a month, went to VietNam, and didn't come home.

I wanted it so bad, but my dad was the voice of reason (not giving a 17 year old a big block Chevelle? WTF?:D). It ended up selling for like $2500. I secretly think it was my dads revenge for having to get rid of his '66 Mustang fastback when I was born.

Hodag

Next week I will be posting pictures of sort of a hidden treasure. A friend of mine has a '27 roadster pickup that he built in about '58. It is a cool little rod with white painted suspension, a 283 with two fours, powerglide, etc. He used to drive it a lot, but his business now takes all of his time, so he stored it years ago and never uses it any more.

I am going to a car show on the 19th and he called me the other day. He is taking it to the show, along with 9 other cars he owns. The '27 is a time capsule and I'm pretty excited about seeing it again. He is saving me a spot to park with them, so I should be able to post lots of pictures.

Another one is a red '64 vette my ex Brother in Law owns. He bought it when he was in college (got a settlement from a wreck he was in and paid cash for it) but he never had the money to make any changes like mag wheels, etc. It has 40,000 miles on it and he never takes it out because "it is worth too much money now." :( I used to tell him to drive it and forget about the value, but he refused to do so. Now he is in bad health and his kids will probably inherit it and either finally use it or sell it. Lotta good it did him to store it all these years.

Don

Next week I will be posting pictures of sort of a hidden treasure. A friend of mine has a '27 roadster pickup that he built in about '58. It is a cool little rod with white painted suspension, a 283 with two fours, powerglide, etc. He used to drive it a lot, but his business now takes all of his time, so he stored it years ago and never uses it any more.

I am going to a car show on the 19th and he called me the other day. He is taking it to the show, along with 9 other cars he owns. The '27 is a time capsule and I'm pretty excited about seeing it again. He is saving me a spot to park with them, so I should be able to post lots of pictures.

Another one is a red '64 vette my ex Brother in Law owns. He bought it when he was in college (got a settlement from a wreck he was in and paid cash for it) but he never had the money to make any changes like mag wheels, etc. It has 40,000 miles on it and he never takes it out because "it is worth too much money now." :( I used to tell him to drive it and forget about the value, but he refused to do so. Now he is in bad health and his kids will probably inherit it and either finally use it or sell it. Lotta good it did him to store it all these years.

Don

Amen to that, how many good cars just get hoarded away for silly reasons. I guess it does make a deal for some one when the owners die but it is still kinda sad.

I used to tell him to drive it and forget about the value, but he refused to do so. Now he is in bad health and his kids will probably inherit it and either finally use it or sell it. Lotta good it did him to store it all these years.

If I had a car that was too valuable to drive... I'd sell it & buy 2, 3 or 4 cars that I *could* drive! Sorry... but I thought that was what cars were for?!?!

BoB

One of the salesman at work has a restored 67 Vette and a 60's VW convertable sitting in his garage. Both cars have boxes and junk piled all over them, you almost can't tell there are cars under there.

I tried to make a deal on a restored 37' Gasser. It had a sbc with Hilborne injection and 4 speed. They guy asked me what I was gonna do with it. I told him, "Drive it!". It was sold to a museum back east.

My buddy with the 63' split window only drives it once a week. Just to keep the battery up. It has 125K on the odometer. He gave it to his son, but the son can't get insurance on it. He's only 25.

Don - can't wait to see pics of the time capsule.

When I lived in Pennsylvania I would load up the family on Sundays for a drive into the mountains........at least that is how I sold it to my wife. :rolleyes: The real purpose was to drive into small towns and farm communities looking for old tin.

One time I spotted a model T sitting outside a house and stopped to ask if it was for sale. The old man said "yes, but you have to take them ALL !" He opened up the garage doors on a big ole detached garage and inside he had about 6 more model T's, all in perfect shape, coupes, sedans, touring cars, etc. Then he said, "you haven't seen the best part yet" and took me up a set of stairs to an equally big upstairs loft. It was jammed with new old stock parts of every description........grilles, fenders, wheels, hoods, engine parts, etc.

It wasn't like he didn't know what he had though. He wanted $ 100,000.00 for the entire collection and those were 1970's dollars. I'm no stock model T expert, but it probably was worth it........needless to say, I passed. :D

Don

There's a place near by that has: 1971-2 Charger SE, 1968 Charger (Looks like an r/t), and a few other Mopars. He lives in a double wide in the bottom of a ravine with goats and other animals living around the cars. Can't get close enought o really look at the cars. Most of his neighbors say that he's one of the nicest people they've ever met:rolleyes:.

It was november 1969 when we moved to a new house which put me in a new school. I was in the 6th grade. The first day at school I sat next to a kid who had a hot rod book and we hit it off. While riding to school on the bus sometimes I would see a Shelby GT 500. It was bright yellow and brand new. I would watch for that car every year till I started driving.
Fast forward 9 years to march `78. The kid I sat next to that first day of school are driving to Atlanta for a nascrap race. I mentioned I was looking to buy a car of some sort. The buddy tells me of a Shelby that a neighbor of his bought new and he doesnt drive anymore.
The next week I go knock on that neighbors door and inquire. We go out to the garage and there sits that yellow Shelby that I had lusted after in the 6th grade. I`ve still got it and drive it 2-3 times a year.

There was a a '69 Nova SS locally sitting in the driveway of a home, the owner of the home was the father of the car's owner...he was deployed in "nam in late 70, was killed and never found...the old man left that car sit untill he passed in '94, the Boro came in with a rollback to haul it out of the driveway...the car literally broke in half at the subframe mounts when they tried to winch it up on the carrier....numerous people tried to buy it thru the years....never was for sale....there also was a mild custom '50s ford that the owner was a pilot in Korea and was killed, his dad buried it in the backyard..except the windshield and top were visible above ground...its STILL there.:eek:

3/4 of a mile down the road sits a bunch of junk. Probably 30 acres. It is two brothers who work in the oil field and aquire alot of stuff. The first one that got my attention is a model A with all the glass, and black paint, sitting under a tree like it has for the past 35 years or so. But in looking around, you see a Super Bee rear quarter poking out from a half way colapsed shed. The paint is sunburned off the car, but it looks straight. They have a reputation for not selling around here. They just won't. And that's okay, it is thier stuff. But all kinds of cars are sitting around among oil field trucks, and heavy equipment. This spring I plan on approaching them on a "TRADE" deal. some of my junk for some of thiers, you never know.

I was up north this summer (maine) and helping a farmer with his tractor's cluch adjustment and happend to notice something in the corner. Behind a treadmill (you know the kind you see for sale at 3am on the shoping channel) a pile of rags, buckets of oil, a stair case and a few other things...

was the corner of an old 30's cowl.

We were there a few hours, and I finaly asked him about it. "oh that old thing" he says yea I used to drive that in college. I asked him if I could take a look. Just as I thought, 30something Ford coupe. in MINT shape, even some OEM paint left. Sand blast thing thing, throw a floor and some paint on it, and your ready to go. I only saw the body and the orignal flat head for it. Then he lets fly this one...

"oh yea, I have all the parts to put it back together, up stairs in the loft, those were too heavy to put up there."

So it turns out this guy disassembled this car 25+ years ago and has everything but the horn button and one rim/tire combo, those somebody walked away with years ago. I know its not going anywhere soon, ill ask him about it next time I see him to show some more interest... :cool:

Hard to believe....... An ad in the local bargain paper, "4 old model T cars, call for details" I call, 3 are resto projects, and one is rough. Going to go look tomarrow. 2 miles from my house on the same road, and I never saw them before.

Some guy up the road from me has an orginal avanti and B5 blue Road runner. There's a Vitamin C orange bird just two intersections away. Then of couse ther's my yard... I cant tell you how many times i hear of "this guy on 562 that has a bunch old 50's and 60's cars and drives them with lisence plates that are the same age as the car." We also have an original Bourogh of Philadelphia plow truck... infact we're gonna use it tonight.

Latest posts

Back