hilborn help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

hello all,

i bought a new toy today and need some help. i bought a hilborn system today, the guy that owned it said he used to run it back in the day on the track. he is looking for more parts for it.

what he told me was

the pump bolts to the cam, the correct cover for the timing chain cover held the bearing and the pump bolted to it. he also stated he ran a electric inline water pump.

what i would like to know is what am i missing so i can see if i can find it if he cant come up with it?

how does the linkage hook up?

any info on the plumbing?

what about these fuel pills i hear about?

is there any links i can read up on? i did a search here.

heres some pics of what i got

P1260070.jpg

P1260077.jpg

P1260073.jpg

P1260075.jpg

thank you for the help!!

You need to go completely thru these and clean out all the orifices and passageways, clean them up really good, cut new gaskets and put in them.

If the pump runs off the crank, there should be be a mount on the front of the pump, if its cam driven, it'll have a 4" long alum. tube with a flange on each side where it bolts to the timing cover, then to the pump. Then there is one where the pump bolts into place where the Moon cover goes and is driven off the front of the cam gear.

The system you have there was normally run on the Gassers, or on alky cars.
Theres no dedicated Idle circuit, it idles about 1000-1400 rpm, and its made for horsepower. With the butterflys almost closed, well, somewhat closed that is, it seeps fuel into the tube throats, thats the reason for the high idle. From 1300-1600 rpm, the motors were crisp, throttle response wise!
These are tuned by changing pills or jets....its all fairly simple, and fun.
You can make a accelerator pump circuit for it easily, and it helps with the loading up that these systems were know for while idling.....:rolleyes:
[;):cool:

Last edited:
The hoses look like they're fairly new and in good shape. Bend then back and forth and make sure there are no cracks in those hoses....if there are, replace them. Anyplace that makes custom hoses should be able to make you up some replacements.
Make sure your fuel control valve is good and clean, thats the block in the center that all the hoses connect to. When you step on the gas, the butterflys on the tubes move at the same time the valve is opened from the hi-pressure pump.
All you need now is to replace that moon plate with the magneto/tach drive on the front. That would look trick! Ha![cl
[;):cool:

Last edited:
We ran that same set up way back in the 60s. If memory serves me right, we had to run a shut off valve that you pulled just as you went through the lights. Then as the motor leaned out you killed the mag. Then we had some kind of a squirt bottle with gas to prime it and start it again. It was a real pain it arse to fool with. More than a one man operation to get the car to fire before a run. The little water pump did not pump enough water to keep it cool.

I can't remember what mag but..

There was a recent article in either Hot Rod or one of the other mag's about a nova running hilborn injectors on the street and how it was made more "streetable"...might be something to check into....might give you some ideas and such.....

We ran that same set up way back in the 60s. If memory serves me right, we had to run a shut off valve that you pulled just as you went through the lights. Then as the motor leaned out you killed the mag. Then we had some kind of a squirt bottle with gas to prime it and start it again. It was a real pain it arse to fool with. More than a one man operation to get the car to fire before a run. The little water pump did not pump enough water to keep it cool.

Hahaha....What Ron Said! Yes, your throttle cable hooks to your fuel valve linkage, and you have a kill cable that hooks to the valve the feeds your fuel valve. The Pills, you change them out, to get you in the ballpark, then got to town with your screwdriver.
Yep, as Ron said, pain in the Ass to get right, hey, but thats the fun with one of these! All you need now is a straight axle 55 Chevy Gasser with a flip front end, with those stacks poking out thru the top of the hood!
OH, don't forget the fenderwell exit headers![cl[dr

Hahaha....What Ron Said! Yes, your throttle cable hooks to your fuel valve linkage, and you have a kill cable that hooks to the valve the feeds your fuel valve. The Pills, you change them out, to get you in the ballpark, then got to town with your screwdriver.
Yep, as Ron said, pain in the Ass to get right, hey, but thats the fun with one of these! All you need now is a straight axle 55 Chevy Gasser with a flip front end, with those stacks poking out thru the top of the hood!
OH, don't forget the fenderwell exit headers![cl[dr

Mine was a 57 Chevy, engine set back 10% with a tilt front end and a straight axle. Fenderwell headers also.

thanks guys,

ive been getting a bunch of info on these hilborns. the valve on top is the wrong valve, needs a new one. plus a bunch of other things.

this one will take some time, but it will get done.

Latest posts

Back