Holley woes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
First let me quantify that I have never been a carb guru and least of all not ona Holley.
So I agree to get my buddys 69 Z28 running. I figure I can get a quick kit for the Holley, put in some new gaskets, power valves, needle+ seats, set the floats, you know, the basic dummy rebuild. It turns out to be a 69 Holley but for a 375 horse 396 or 425 horse 427. No quick kit so I order a master kit. Now I'm sure a master kit is just some guy going down the aisles and loading a box full of stuff. It even has gaskets in there for a dominator for kripes sake. Also 10 sets of needle and seats, at least as many sets of power valves, some marked and some not but not even pairs in some cases.
then the needle/seats in the car are not marked, nor are the power valves so it's only a guess as to which ones to use. I think I put 8.5 power valves in. Also out of the dozens of metering block gaskets, none are exactly identical to the old brown ones so I got real close, should have been ok there.

Fast forward to today and I try to fire the car up. It's dumping fuel big time. Float levels are right on the money from where I preset them at, can't think of anything else. Jeez I hate to start taking it apart and putting it together stabbing in the dark. I think I'll tell him to ship it off or buy a new carb.

Edelbrock......no more problems....my corvette and 37 ran like never before when I changed from holley.....may be fine for racing....but to me they suck for street cars!!!
No hate mail please!....lol

wb i wish i was closer so i could help, i'm not a guru but i have rebuilt alot of them. with the heavy leah it could be anything from a slipped power valve gasket to the wrong metering block gasket. it is hard to tell without having it in front of me. best of luck to you.

Edelbrock......no more problems....my corvette and 37 ran like never before when I changed from holley.....may be fine for racing....but to me they suck for street cars!!!
No hate mail please!....lol

Yeah, pretty sure he's going to pop for a new Edelbrock and be done with it. Holleys master kit is kind of a joke. First they overwhelm you with a lot of stuff that isn't even for the model you're working on and then the instructions are "Buy this book by so and so to know how to install the kit". Just a feeble and barely readable "typical" parts blow up, nothing else. I guess they figure if you have it opened up you must know what you are doing.[S
I'll stick with Motorcraft and Rochesters, I can always make one of those run right.

Might be a dumb question.....

Yeah, pretty sure he's going to pop for a new Edelbrock and be done with it. Holleys master kit is kind of a joke. First they overwhelm you with a lot of stuff that isn't even for the model you're working on and then the instructions are "Buy this book by so and so to know how to install the kit". Just a feeble and barely readable "typical" parts blow up, nothing else. I guess they figure if you have it opened up you must know what you are doing.[S
I'll stick with Motorcraft and Rochesters, I can always make one of those run right.

What's the fuel pump pressure?? Is it stock? Needle and seat should handle 5 to 7 lbs without a hitch...either that or a metering block leaking....guess I'd ask where the fuel is coming from...above or below the throttle plates....?? [S

Latest posts

Back