holy grail

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bucket

I just bought a 327 chev, 1962-67 double bump 64 cc heads I took it apart and it has pop up pistons and a crane 286 fireball cam. I am soliciting opinions as to whether this will run on todays pump gas should I put it back together and try it or what do you think. These motors used to be the holy grail for guys like us but what is the reality

I love thumper motors, but you may want to put later model heads on it to reduce compression a little. It would also help with the unleaded fuel!!! But it seems like a shame to break it up, maybe put it back together and build a trailer just to haul it around behind you're rod. [cl

thanks rainman
maybe I can turn a corner of my shop into a shrine and invite my friends over to sit in awe . "If you build it they will come"

nice motor, try not to dump to much fuel in it, and I would think your OK, cam may not be comfy at stop lights, I don't remember.

I think you should be ok. I assume it is going into your T bucket, which is light, and if your rear end ratio is not too high you won't be lugging the engine much. You will probably be running 93 octane, and I would have the heads done with hardened seats to handle unleaded gas. A loose convertor will also help, maybe something in the 2800-3000 range.

Don

if you polished the chambers you'd lose a bit of compression. and composite head gaskets drop it a little too. I have a 1977 460 I put KB flat tops in, instead of the stock dished pistons. It has a combustion chamber size of about 95cc-97cc and is running about 10.75:1 guessing from the literature that describes the pistons.
I need to run at least 91 octane. The 88-89 octane pings on me. I built it to run on LPG but never got a lpg setup going. It makes about 375hp @4500 rpm and 450 ft-lbs at 400 and gets 7-8 mpg towing in a full time 4x4 and 9-11 just driving around under 65.
so you can see it has a little load to pull, not like it's in a tbucket or anything light and easy.

I'm not sure without going through all the exact measuring but with flat tops and composite head gaskets you should be around 10:1.
having any sharp edges rounded over and smoothed out will prevent hotspots for detonation to occur.
You can also play around with your thermostat a bit too. they go down to 160 degrees.
I threw a set of 64cc 283 heads on a 350 after My ported 350 heads got a crack and the only time it'd ping is when I got it hot and shut it off fast without a little cool down...it didn't ping when I was driving (not that I could tell) but 283 heads on a 350 is right there in the danger zone

This may not be recommended, or I'm not sure legal, but if it was made to run on leaded fuel you can still get it at municipal airports because light aircraft such as Cessna etc. Still use leaded fuel just a thought FYI.

Mac.

Latest posts

Back