Home Built Shop Tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

Any body have any pics/blueprints of some? I'm working on an 80 gallon air compressor using an old semi air brake system compressor and 8hp briggs and stratton engine. Anyone got anything about bead rollers, planishing hammers, english wheels, sheet metal brakes/bender, axle dropping jigs, that kind of stuff or anything you've found useful around the shop. I'm trying to set up a small hot rod/custom and repair shop in my home town out of my garage to make a little money while I'm without a job. I would like to do this on the cheap, I have a small customer base but would like to expand this and these tools sure would help, and they would speed the process of building my own cars.

If I can offer a suggestion. If you add only one tool, make it a bandsaw. We have one that cuts either vertical, like a traditional bandsaw, or horizontally, like the ones Harbor Freight sells. We have commented a million times how we could never get along without it, or turn out the parts we do by using any other means. There is not one day at the shop when it isn't cutting something.

Don

About a month ago I went to this guys shop to buy a 250lb anvil. He was storing a homemade bandsaw in his shop for a friend. The thing was huge. You could easily cut a big car hood in half on it. The whole thing looked like something out of star wars. Sorry I was buying an anvil, did'nt have my camera. But picture a big V on it's side, three pullys. Pretty cool, and well built.

Since I posted this I have found www.metalmeet.com which has some excellent tech and tips on metalworking, tools, and tool construction, I recommend checkin this out if you're thinkin about buying or building a new tool for your collection.

If I can offer a suggestion. If you add only one tool, make it a bandsaw. We have one that cuts either vertical, like a traditional bandsaw, or horizontally, like the ones Harbor Freight sells. We have commented a million times how we could never get along without it, or turn out the parts we do by using any other means. There is not one day at the shop when it isn't cutting something.

Don

Don, you are correct about the band saw...........I have a small saw like you discribed and a large converted to metal, wood band saw....wouldn't be with out them!

Latest posts

Back