Home garage mezzanine ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly36

Hey guys I had an idea of building a steel framed mezzanine in my garage. The guy before me built a loft using 2x6 and 2x4. My garage has a real high roof line at the back. The loft works but I am nervous to put a lot of stuff up top. I work in a lot of commercial buildings and I have been around quite a few steel framed mezzanines with tons of stuff on top of them. I would like to see if any one has built one of these in their home ? Like to see some pics thanks.
[P

Last edited by a moderator:
We had one at one place where I worked, stored lots of heavy cast iron marine engine parts up there. It was not all that elaborate, just some maybe 2 x 6 rectangular steel tubing, with a framework around it at the top to support the floor (made from 2 x 10 lumber, I think). The secret seems to be tying it into the walls so that it isn't just freestanding, but actually part of the building.

I wouldn't be too worried about the wood one you have now, if it is done right. In our last two shops I built a loft out of 4 x 4 legs and 2 x 6 cross beams, and I put heads, doors, transmissions, and lots of heavy stuff up there with no problems. It too is tied into the side walls.

Don

Hey Don thanks for the response. The loft I have now is not made very well.
I was thinking of some of the orange and green pallet shelves like at Home,D. welding them together add some 4x5x1/8 steel across the top at the four sides. bolt in some center cross runs. Try to find some thin decking like the tire plates you might see the military would use. I don't want to attach it to the house . I was thinking free standing and bolted to the floor. With 1/2 inch cement anchors. I looked at mezzanines on line and all I find is some really heavy duty stuff for holding 1000.00s and 1000.00s of pounds.

[;)

Got some Mezzanine Pics.

All right I got some pics of a Mezzanine from a Ross store job. I pit in some cameras at the store and they had one in the back of the store.[;)

Attachments

• Mez_1.jpg
    Mez_1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Mez_2.jpg
    Mez_2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Mez_3.jpg
    Mez_3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back