Home made tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't post to this one?!
Hum.

Well here's my contribution. I didn't make it, but I bought it from an old timers son. Apparently the old timer was pretty handy :)
$50

78083700a7d5faa4b959802f7cd21dc0.jpg

62d394370841926384a217894df5dbb3.jpg

acc59d7089b072af8aa67d5fe66649ff.jpg

IMG_4758.mp4

This thing is epic! So sad that many people these days can appreciate what it takes to build something like that.

So you just move the belts around for different speed:confused:

Honestly took me a minute to figure out what it was. I was over thinking it:D

That's why I like it so much! It looks much more complicated then it really is :)

When I got it home, it was turning quite slow, only 60 rpm's. so a little maneuvering of the pulleys and belts and I got it up to 125 rpm.
He has auto feed on it which makes it nice and easy.
I want to swap the 4 jaw for a 3 jaw.
I'm now to turning so I'm still trying to figure out the best setup on it.
I got it cause I couldn't pass up how cool it was! [cl

Here's a link to a short video of it running.
http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc349/jmlcolorado/?action=view&current=IMG_4758.mp4

some of them old timers really know how to build stuff!!! That thing is truly awesome though! Have you turned down much on it yet? I think if it were me I would have to build some sort of gaurd over the gears though. Look like finger smasher/breaker/cutter/mutilator/grabbers for sure..... But, it would be a shame to cover up that design work. Thing of beauty for sure.

some of them old timers really know how to build stuff!!! That thing is truly awesome though! Have you turned down much on it yet? I think if it were me I would have to build some sort of gaurd over the gears though. Look like finger smasher/breaker/cutter/mutilator/grabbers for sure..... But, it would be a shame to cover up that design work. Thing of beauty for sure.

Haven't turned much. Still trying to get it all diled in.
The thing is awesome though! I was thinking of building a hard for the gears, but they turn so slow, I haven't noticed me getting anywhere near them, I don't think they will be a problem. I'm gonna leave them open for now :)

I'm voting for a plexi box you can set over them. Then they would be safe and you could still see them. That way if neverdone comes over he won't get attacked by your machine:D

That is a crazy piece for sure, definitely some ingenuity in that piece.

I agree with the cover comments, even having a piece of clothing get caught could be trouble.

How about a break?? 32" throat. Still need to put a handle on it, but I think it should be much better than any of that cheap hazard frieght crap. Built pretty cheap too. Only part I had to buy was the channel. Rest of the crap I had laying around....

2012-11-30_16-12-48_964.jpg

Since I liked my work bench extension/mount that I put on my bench about a year ago, I decided I would double the fun!!!

IMG_20130322_143458_882_zps56060c24.jpg

Tore the top of the bench apart and reinforced everything to hold a little more load. put a piece of tube in the mount and then picked myself up with it. Held me no problem.

Now with that done I have nice spot to mount my break.

IMG_20130322_142406_330_zps98c31952.jpg

Got a chance to use the break yesterday for the first time to actually make something I needed. It worked great! To anyone thinking about wasting money on one of those cheap HF pieces of junk this is a much better option!!! It was well worth the effort!

Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna steal that

slip in fixture idea.....a friend of mine had some old hitchs lying around and gave them to me...so I have 6 2" receivers and two of the smaller hitches (1 1 1/8) that I can cut out and afix to the benchs....great idea Neverdone....will make moving this stuff easier...so I'm going to set up the break, shrinker and stretcher and the bead roller all to use the fixtures....might even figure out something for the grinder as well.....thanks for the "food for thought"...[cl

slip in fixture idea.....a friend of mine had some old hitchs lying around and gave them to me...so I have 6 2" receivers and two of the smaller hitches (1 1 1/8) that I can cut out and afix to the benchs....great idea Neverdone....will make moving this stuff easier...so I'm going to set up the break, shrinker and stretcher and the bead roller all to use the fixtures....might even figure out something for the grinder as well.....thanks for the "food for thought"...[cl

Come on Sarge!!! That is what this whole thread is about!!! Sharing ideas for others to steal!!! I use the $10 hitch reducers from tractor supply, a few free cut down hitches would be better! So far my "slip fixtures" are one of my favorite ideas I have had so far.

Love the TURD

Hey Neverdone... Nice lettering on your bench. TURD [cl I always think of adding the letter "U" to the sides of all the Toyota trucks out there with TRD emblazoned on the side. :rolleyes:

Made another tool for use the last couple days. Since we have a nice big yard now and two dogs that love to play outside we determined that we need an invisible fence. So that being said I came up with a plan in my head to build something to pull with the three wheeler and put one in. This is what I came up with.

IMG_20131029_112315_024_zpsf4896176.jpg

IMG_20131029_112322_494_zps2a3bafe8.jpg

For the most part in well groomed grass it worked well. I had the wife stand on it to hold it down and make sure the wire was feeding ok. It actually cut a nice trench most of the time but there is room for improvement with this system. The spool needed to be held tighter in one spot, also I think it would work better with a free spinning blade in front of the knife to open the trench before the knife comes through and lays in the wire. The cart should have been taller also because it builds stuff up under it then it lifts and quits cutting the trench. But I still think it worked better than using an edger!!

Latest posts

Back