Hooking Speedometer to 2003 GT 5 speed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xschx

My 30 Ford has a 2003 Mustang GT 5 speed in it….no speedometer….any ideas how to hook one up? I do see there is a plug on the side of the transmission, so I am thinking this might be what I need to plug into? I’ve never had a broken speedometer in any car I’ve owned, so I don’t know where to start, especially with something from newer cars I am thinking they are electrical versus mechanical. I was thinking of buying a GT speedometer off ebay to make it easier, but then again those gauge clusters are all hooked to the harness. I don’t particularly want a newer gauge so I’d like to be able to hook some sort of classic, or classing looking aftermarket gauge to it. I am hoping it is as simple as plugging a cable from the speedometer directly into the plug on the trans?

You'll most likely need an "electronic speedometer." Most of the big-name manufacturers build and sell 'em. Might even find a kit that includes the speedo and the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) along with a dedicated harness.

A Google of your favourite (Auto Meter, Stewart-Warner, Classic Instruments, etc.) should turn up what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

I haven't been on here because of the storm, thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info. I believe it is an electronic speedometer and the speed sensor is plugged into the transmission already, but I don't have the harness or speedometer to go with it. I figure the harness would be wrapped up into one big harness on the original. I don’t deal much with newer car stuff and it seems to be changing all the time. I was surprised to see the motor doesn’t have spark plugs, but instead an individual coil pack for each cylinder. I need to keep up with things I guess.

Latest posts

Back