hot rodders/rat rodders are amazing people

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
who else but us could look at a pile of crappy parts or a car like l'm cutting up for the jalopy and say to themselves;

''hey, l (we) can make a real cool ride outta this thing''

l think we are a warped bunch of people:eek:

Later :cool:

We are a dying breed.........people who do things with their hands and who build things. Our Fathers and Grandfathers did it, but it is getting so that people don't even know how to change a tire anymore.

But I sort of see why. Cars have gotten so sophisticated technologically that it takes a rocket scientist to work on them. The other night my Son Dan brought a car owned by a girl he knows over to the shop because she said the temp gauge went into the hot zone. We fiddled around with it but there were so many relays and circuits we couldn't figure out what triggered the electric fan to go onto high speed.

But as to your original point, that is why all of us on here love old tin, we can figure out how to make it run.

Don

Hah, reminds me of my first jalopy. I was 15 and started dragging crap home, frame, engine axles ect. My mom was having a fit. 3-4 months later when I was driving it she was amazed. She said she never figured that pile of junk would turn into something I could drive.

Hah, reminds me of my first jalopy. I was 15 and started dragging crap home, frame, engine axles ect. My mom was having a fit. 3-4 months later when I was driving it she was amazed. She said she never figured that pile of junk would turn into something I could drive.

That's one of the best parts about building them, when the naysayers can't believe it, but they're seeing and hearing it run......cr

We are a dying breed.........people who do things with their hands and who build things. Our Fathers and Grandfathers did it, but it is getting so that people don't even know how to change a tire anymore.

But I sort of see why. Cars have gotten so sophisticated technologically that it takes a rocket scientist to work on them. The other night my Son Dan brought a car owned by a girl he knows over to the shop because she said the temp gauge went into the hot zone. We fiddled around with it but there were so many relays and circuits we couldn't figure out what triggered the electric fan to go onto high speed.

But as to your original point, that is why all of us on here love old tin, we can figure out how to make it run.

Don

Seems like the old days of breaking down, finding out that the points closed, then setting them with a match book cover are long gone. Heck, i can't even remember the last time i saw any one with a book of matches.:(

Don

I can get behind that. That's why I got into building bikes, because of an neighbour I had when I lived in Michigan. He wasn't doing well health-wise and told me that guys like me are here to carry the torch when the older guys pass on.

Someone has to be here to tell the stories these old cars and bikes can't tell themselves.

Had alot of folks I've dealt with do the whole WOW your amazing and how do you build this stuff and whered ya get that idea etc,etc,etc... even a few guys I've worked with over the years would wonder why I did something or how, used to get so frustrated especially with other technicians and bodymen because they didnt see it like I did I couldnt understand how they couldnt see it or get it?! Wife could see my visions in cars and even had her own, and she would tell people that I just saw things differently from a more artistic view, now if she could just get me past my anal retentative perfectionist side and past the add enough to get a project done! and all would just laugh. years ago I found this loudmouth know it all punk kid that got it! totally saw things like me, and even better he understood every book and bit of knowledge I could throw at him. Now 10 years later he has his own shop building trophy truck and race parts, and doing pretty good!

We are all somewhat of a special breed, the kind that walks the razors edge between insanity and genius.

To you......

Ladies and gentlemen.....
Wouldn't life be boring?....playing golf......going shopping with the wife.....watching "Housewives of Somewhere".....zzzzzrrrtttt...Puts my teeth on edge just thinkin about it!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got all these gears and brackets and tires and stuff in my head. If they couldn't get out, I'd 'splode![ddd

'Sme

I got all these gears and brackets and tires and stuff in my head. If they couldn't get out, I'd 'splode![ddd

'Sme

ditto! used to, when I have issues sleeping I just build a rod from the ground up in my head, but then I'd wake up with Way too many new ideas for whatever I was working on and have the urge to start something new. worst part was when I really couldnt sleep then just go into the garage and work and wake up the wife with all the noise :D

My best friend likes cars but doesn't know the old stuff. He saw my '42 Chevy when I first got it he later told me he didn't see it as a hot rod. I lowered it and got it one color and put an Olds 455 in it. Now he wonders how I knew it would look cool, he just saw an old car until it was done. We have vision I guess.

Case in Point.....

Don

Did the intake gaskets on my grandson's 97 Chevy 4x4 his other grandfather got for him....had to check the timing with a scan tool when I was done..:eek:... supposed to be set at 0 + or - 2 degrees...put the darn thing in where it was and where I marked it and it showed -19 degrees...had to pull the dist and advance it....trial and error till I got it to 2 degrees advanced....had a 8,000 dollar snap on scanner that my kid uses at work for most of this stuff...tech is way above where I was when I was turning wrenchs for a living...

Ladies and gentlemen.....
Wouldn't life be boring?....playing golf......going shopping with the wife.....watching "Housewives of Somewhere".....zzzzzrrrtttt...Puts my teeth on edge just thinkin about it!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

'Sme

Haha, reminds me of when I lived with my last GF. "Our" favorite shows were on the Home Channel, and I spent many nights watching remodeling and decorating shows until I wanted to hang myself ! :eek:

Don

Haha, reminds me of when I lived with my last GF. "Our" favorite shows were on the Home Channel, and I spent many nights watching remodeling and decorating shows until I wanted to hang myself ! :eek:

Don

Fortunately for all of us and the hotrodding world, the key word there was LAST girlfriend!!!!:D

Latest posts

Back