How could I do this???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into the idea of a diesel a little while ago, and found out that a 4bt cummins diesel is aboust the same size as a chevy 350 and you can find them relatively easy in 90s chevy stepvans, like a fritolay delivery truck. They make decent power and are starting tp pop up more and more in the diesel world

diesel were also used in the mid to late 80's s-10' and Chevy luv's
Seems this would be an easy conversion, that is if you can find one

Those were non-turbo and SLOW. My dad had one. I took it to test and tune night and it ran a 21.60 at 60 mph with me abusing the heck out of it.

It did get 40 mpg though.

Theres a dude I talked to this past summer (Here in Brunswick) who has a rat pick up that he is running a turboed Industrial 3.9l Cummins engine in...its pretty bad ass.....I think he has posted over on KB (I'm now banned from there so you'll have to check it out)..I'm almost positive this is the dude.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg

The 3.9l 4bt cummins is more less the same as the 6bt that dodge runs in the full size trucks. The only difference is one is missing two cylinders. They are common in the step vans and some industrial equipment. People are putting them in everything from jeeps to rat rods so i would say they are getting real popular

Check out this 50 chevy I would love to do this to my 51 Cambridge. The guy said the motor came out of a tractor or forktruck. What should I look for? Would it be better to put the body on an s10 frame first?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1497849024.html

I wouldn't bother with an S-10 frame swap. There is a nasty kick up in the rear that will interfere with most car's rear seats and make your trunk space nearly nonexistent. I was thinking of an S-10 frame swap for my 53 Willys Aero (there is not much left of the stock unibody) but the afore mentioned troubles made me steer away from it. Clipping your stock frame using the S-10 frame would be a better idea. For the most part unless one is dealing with some serious unobtainium or a wasted frame frame swaps usually are more hassle than they are worth in my opinion.

I toyed with getting a small reefer diesel for my Willys but the power out put is pretty weak. Right around 35 hp for the bigger units but no doubt a turbo would bring up performance to an acceptable level. A few of the diesel conversions I have seen around my neck of the woods have been out of forklifts. I see 'em from time to time for real cheap, usually the forklift stuff is trashed but the motors are good. Construction equipment is another good choice. Lots of good motors in trashed generators, pumps, steam rollers. Old rusted out International Scouts are another good source. I usually see them come up for sale quite regularly in my neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Back