How do I chop this roof??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvorat57

Well I won't be doing the chop on this untill after its on the road for a while.
I want to build the new chassis and get it sitting low and running (safe) First.
But for its future it will be chopped.

I have Never done a chop job. but here is a side profile picture. Can anyone MSpaint some cut lines???

Thanks again guys your great!!

SN850052-1.jpg

SN850159.jpg

That's not a body style I would want to do for a first chop. Getting the back part to transition smoothly will take a lot of planning and very skilled metal working. I'd practice on something easier first but then again. Get Tex Smith's "How to Chop Tops" and read it over about 10 times. Good luck.

Last edited:
That's not a body style I would want to do for a first chop.

Me either... I have to agree with DMW on this one but I have seen people chop cars like this but you better do your homework & really plan it out. There have been several articles recently showing Bill Hines chopping Merc's & stuff & I would *definitely* look @ those very closely as he is one of the masters.

BoB

THanks guys, Yeah it scares me ALOT to chop it lol, And your right I will have to read up on it first ALOT ALOT.
But hey this is how the learing process goes right?

Who knows maybe after the mock up I wont want to chop this thing.. we shall see.

Again Thanks guys,

yeah.. Im not sure what make or model of this car but it looks ALOT like my pv444 (body style)
Who ever did this chop did a damn fine job, This is the car that makes me want to chop mine. Really the hole car is almost what im doing with mine,
Other then the motor being covered up and the skinny tires in the back.
ImportedPhotos00607.jpg

That was built by Posie's.Should have pics on their site.

It is a narrowed '50s something Chevy fastback.

Has some cool ideas.

You could pie cut the quarters from the rear section of the quarter window all the way back to where the deck lid lines intersect the wheelwells. The problem is that the roof line contiues through the arc of the decklid.(profile) Keeping that line a smooth radius is paramount to having a good looking chop when it's done. Even if you lay it down like this, the A piller will have a very agressive slant, and getting the B piller and the door tops right are still another challenge. Things to consider for sure. Start with a few side veiw pics and cut them up with scissors, it will at least get you thinking about some of the variables. It can be done, but a tough choice for a first chop...

roof chop pv444

Heres a couple of photos from my collection to give you some lines to judge by, lots of careful measuring but worth doing properly.

Attachments

• volvo rod 1.jpg
    volvo rod 1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 58
  • volvo rod 2.jpg
    volvo rod 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 34
IMHO you may want to look at the way the VW beetles are chopped..I think your car has similar lines from the side especially the rear side windows
WWW.VOLKSRODS.COM
That will be a difficult chop for a first timer...but if ya pull it off its gonna be killer!

there's an article in the new ol skool rods or car kulture deluxe that shows bill hines chopping a slope back car. pretty decent pics too.

:cool:Go for it. Just make sure to measure, measure, measure, and measure again! Definately go out and buy the book from Tex Smith, how to chop tops! I had one when I chopped my 37 chevy sedan, invaluable.. Plan ahead with a marking pencil to make everything Line up as close as possible after your cut.
lay it out with tape and then measure again! It would be to your benefit to have a second roof if possible because they never match up after the cut. That would save you from having to put in a strip of metal and one less weld line. I didn't have one and it still worked out.
Good luck and don't give up. It's a great deal of work but worth it in the end....CR

When you compare the window height from the side profile on yours, to that of the Posie Chev, there isn't that much difference. I can hear them now... You really did a nice job on that mild chop!! Looks just like it had been done at the factory!!;) Might find it looks good just as is when it's done.:) Hey I'm just playing Devils advocate. Sniper

Jump in feet first man. Plan it though. If it takes you two months to do it, you still have done it. You will be so damn proud of yourself once your done you'll want to do the next challenging deal straight up. Don't get down if you have screwed something up dude, its sheet metal and replaceable. Good luck.

WOW! thanks for the responses guys.
You have all been a great help, and i guess we will see where it goes from here.
Right now im saving up for some chassis tubing.. so I can get this thing rollin.

Latest posts

Back