how do i get my car in a magazine.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in lots of magazines with different vehicles, and my name has been mentioned in a bunch more. I don't know what will do it for you. Sometimes I was in the right place at the right time, other times I knew the right people, other times it was just luck.
I know guys that try too hard. Really pushy with photograpers at events. That hardly ever works. Nowdays I have a friend who is a photographer for a magazine. At the last event we were at together, he asked me if I had seen any "feature" rigs, so I walked with him and showed him some of my favorites. One of them got some coverage.
It comes down to catching a photographers eye, and building something that has wide appeal.

Depends on the magazine. Some are fairly easy to get featured in some are near impossible. A lot also depends on the type of car they want to feature at any given time.

Everybody says my Sons rpu should be in the magazines but it hasn't happened yet, except for a small picture in one a while back. We even have an "in" with one of the major mags and nothing so far. Of course it is a good thing because his car is back disassembled and if we got the call we wouldn't be able to produce it in time.

Oh, it also helps to paint it red.

Don

Kind of a combination of what everybody else said. First it has to be a different enough or just plain "killer" ride and you have to get out to the shows and be seen. I have been at shows and been asked out for photo shoots and I've also had pics taken and published that I didn't even know about until someone else told me that they saw it in some mag. It is also just being in the right place at the right time. Good luck.

I've been in several magazines from local/regional magazines to national & international magazines and videos or documentaries having to do with my entertainment career mostly. I've never asked always been asked or surprised with an article.

Just stand out in the crowd but be your self

After one photo, I decided I never want to do that again. A show I attended, two photogs were arguing about shooting my car. I told them not to bother, I did it once and that was 4 hours out of my day I will never get back. One of them said she would do it in 20 minutes, it was for Old Skool Rods, I said no.

Same thing with trophies, I don't care for them.

write a seriously big check to the mag of your choice and stipulate that your car must be featured before the check is cashed. You might be surprised.

First, go to Rat Rod magazine and check out their site. You DO not need a pro photographer (even though I am one) borrow a good digital camera and shoot your car in a natural setting. (make sure there are no signs or identifiable things in the background). A model would be good if you can find one. She/he does not have to wear a bathing suit or show a lot of skin. Dress for the vehicles age or genre is better (rat rod-rockabilly style). Look over some other shoots in other magazines to get an idea of the differnet angles and use a 6 ft ladder for an overall view. Your model DOES not have to be in every shot. For my next rat rod shoot I am using a guy and a girl. Both will be in one shot where he is working on the car and she is standing "waiting". Three other shots of the car will be with her, 10 others are just the car. Each magazine will have certain "rules" for submitting articles/ images. Follow them to the letter. I use to write for Stock Car Racing Magazine and it would take up to 3 months for one of my submissions to get in print. After your submission DO not hound them. Good Luck!;)

Win Best Rat Rod 3 years in a row at the Supernationals Custom Car Show and they will come to you.

51FordRatRod3.jpg

Rat Rod Magazine

I was lucky enough to have my 56 F100 featured in the first edition. They asked for pics of readers rides. I sent in some very good photos and I guess the editor liked them well enough to do a feature page. Luck?...probably. But Rat Rod Magazine is always lookin for rides to feature. Gotta be different, unusual, eye-catching....... Good Luck.

Lynn

Attachments

• RatRod Mag.jpg
    RatRod Mag.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 21
Magazine car.

Well,nobody has asked ,but why don't you post a couple of pictures of your car here,lets see what you got that deserves to be in a magazine:cool:

Been there

Ive been in a few mag. with my offroad trucks that I used to build. As far back as 1996.
Been in Rust Queens Mag. with my 29 Rat.
NOW THE FUNNY PART I am in RAT ROD Mag. in their Christmas issue BUT
I cant find it in any store around here! So I have not seen it yet!:eek:
Soooooo If any of you have that issue and would like to send it to me..........................wink, wink!:rolleyes:

For wide appeal, take photos of the rod just before disassenbly for paint. Submit those to rat rod magazines. After paint and final assembly take photos and send those to hot rod magazines. Pull it onto a trailer and take photos, send those to Street Rodder magazine.

For wide appeal, take photos of the rod just before disassenbly for paint. Submit those to rat rod magazines. After paint and final assembly take photos and send those to hot rod magazines. Pull it onto a trailer and take photos, send those to Street Rodder magazine.
that's brilliant.....or very funny....or both

Latest posts

Back