How do I run this little 6v V8-60 on 12 volts?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
I want to start this motor and run it for a while on the stand to check it out. I only have a 12 volt battery and dont want to buy a 6 volt bat just for this test.

I know the starter will be ok but how about the coil?

Attachments

• sheet metal 2 028 (Medium).jpg
    sheet metal 2 028 (Medium).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 25
  • sheet metal 2 029 (Medium).jpg
    sheet metal 2 029 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 24
If it is an old battery that you don't mind messing up a little, you can measure half way across the top of the battery and run a long screw down into the plates. From that screw to the negative post you will get approx 6 volts. We used to do this in the old days when we swapped a later engine into a old 6 volt car so we could run the 6 volt accessories like radio, etc. Your starter will be ok with 12 volts, and you can run the 6 volts to the ignition to try starting the motor.

Don

I used your trick Don, I had to put the screw in a couple times till I had aprox. 6 volts. Worked like a charm. Thanks.:D
I had an old battery so I put it on the charger and turned it all the way up.

She started and seems to run pretty well.
I changed the oil first and it had ZERO water in it.:eek: Suprising.
Next I will hook up a radiator and bring it up to temp.
If it still checks out, I am gonna stick it in the 37 and take it around the block.:D

If it is an old battery that you don't mind messing up a little, you can measure half way across the top of the battery and run a long screw down into the plates. From that screw to the negative post you will get approx 6 volts. We used to do this in the old days when we swapped a later engine into a old 6 volt car so we could run the 6 volt accessories like radio, etc. Your starter will be ok with 12 volts, and you can run the 6 volts to the ignition to try starting the motor.

Don

If you do this will the battery still provide both 6 and 12 volts at the same time?Am i getting this correctly?If so thats awsome.

Yes, each cell is about 2 volts, so if you tap into the third one you will get 6 volts out of that tap. It does shorten the life of the battery somewhat, as you are overworking 1/2 of the battery, but it was all we had back then........none of this fancy electronic stuff. :D:D

Don

Latest posts

Back