How do I wire this starter switch?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

Anyone know how to wire this starter switch? I think I know but need some back up on this one.

BR ?
R1 ?
R2 ?
C ?
B ?
ACC ?

Photo037.jpg

As far as I know, Jideco made switches for Nissan and Datson. But unless you know the make and model, that won't help much. B terminal should be the battery POSITIVE. Acc is going to be the Accessory terminal, (radio, and that sort of thing. Items you want powered, without the main ign being hot at the same time.) The rest, I don't know for sure. If you have a voltmeter or ohm meter, you can sort it out using the 'B' terminal as the battery POS and seeing what other terminals are hot in the OFF position. And what becomes hot as you go from OFF to ACC, Off to RUN, and OFF to START. Write it down as you get the results of each position and it will start to make sense as you proceed. The R1 and R2 could be a couple of things, depending if they come on together, or if one comes on when the Run position is selected, and the other comes on in the START position, (so both would end up being on in the START position). If this is the case, the switch likely came from a "points distributor" system. Can still be used on anything though. If R1 and R2 both come ON in the RUN position, but show no change when START is selected, you will need to go one step farther to see what they were meant for. Using an Ohm meter, and the switch in the off position, check across the R1 and R2terminals, if the meter shows something, they are connected and are just pick up points for power to what ever needs it when in the RUN position. But, if nothing happens on the meter, they are open and not connected. You can likely use one of them for the ign coil, and the other for the alt field circuit. Since they are seperate, you won't get the power feedback from the alt to the coil that keep the engine running, even when you shut off the ign switch. Saves having to put a diode, or relay, in the alt field wire to keep this from happening. The rest you'll have to sort out and see what happens as you go. With so many variations available I could be a way off in left field, but I think this is what you will find.

This looks very much like a diesel starter switch. If so, take a look at what I have below and see if it makes any sense. There is a chart included in the lower right for each key position and which lug is active.

image39.jpg

Thanks, that diagram is exactly what I need.... I should have mentioned it's a diesel starter switch. I just wasn't sure what the R1 and R2 were for. I don't have a pic of it but the key for it is REALLY cool!

Thanks for the info also, Sniper... good stuff to know.

Glad I could help. Toyota and Nissan actually used these types of starter switches, which is where I recognized it from. I am an automotive instructor in the auto and diesel department at our local college and knew where to find the info for you.

Latest posts

Back