how has your rat plans changed?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38fordtruck

i was just wondering how drastically everyone plans have changed on their rats as they build them

my orignal plan with my rat was swap in a 400m and a 5 speed then remove a few leaf spring and call it a so called rat but... then i started looking at frame swaps and deiced to look for a ford ranger frame but during my search i ran into 77 toyota frame for free and i deiced to use it. also i deiced that the flathead v8 was way to cool to get rid of so i plan on keeping it :rolleyes: somehow on the i also deiced to grow a pair and chop the top 4 inches

i wonder what i will want to diffrent next maybe just scrap the yota chassis and build my own frame.....:rolleyes:

My plans only changed by adding a few things to the '42. I rewired it instead of using the old harness. I changed the Olds 350 to a 455 and I am putting in a tilt column otherwise it is mostly how I planned it.

As the build goes on it will start telling you what it wants to be. You may start off with an idea in your head, and stick to the basics of that idea, but the final product is usually not exactly what you envisioned.

Parts that become available sometimes change the direction. You may be planning on one engine brand but then some sweet deal comes up on another brand of motor and your build goes off in another direction entirely.

You might even get to the point of cutting it all up and starting over because you don't like something about it. This is just part of building a car from scratch. :D

Don

My thoughts on what I want change each and every day! ...not just rat rods.

That is one reason why I don't have any tatoos. Some of the things I thought were so cool 10 years ago, today I look at and think WTF?

I get a picture in my mind. Do it, sometimes it works out great and other time I scratch my head and say "What were you thinking" and change it.

For me it seems to be an evolutionary type of progress (not the Darwin kind.) hopefully for the better.

I started out with a Courier frame and wound up making one out of channel iron. I'll have to box it in with flat bar and make it heavy but, it'll be plenty strong for the big block. I've pretty much just "winged it" on most things. Not really having a set plan but, adapting as I go along. Some things would go better with a little $$ every so often. It'll turn out just like I want it. There's just some things I haven't a clue on how to do. Like body work. I may have to find someone to help with the sheet metal someday. That's all.

mine started out as a 32 pu me and a friend built a frame and had it all going our way then found a nice stock model a and sold the 32 cab and box, shortend and pinched the frame and went with that and never looked back.

My '53 Chevy 3100 has been "done" and a driver for 3 or 4 years (Avatar).

I would really like to have self cancelling turn signals, the correct spring rate in the rear (should have gone 4 link and coilovers, instead of leaf) and I want to lose the Flowmaster 40 and get something a little quieter.

Wouldn't change: Hydroboost brakes, Vintage Air, flat bed, louvered hood and cooling system.

Mine have stayed almost exactly on plan. Only things that have changed are what I haven't been able to make physically happen - like larger tires.

I think Flipper's Roofus Special is the poster child of changing plans. [cl

Like Sam, I pretty much know before starting what I will end up with. For instance, the only change on my '40 Plymouth pickup is from a 406 Chevy small block to a 305. Fuel price increases caused that change.

my 52 build "evolved" as a part or piece would dictate the change...and i enjoyed the challenge as well as seeing "where the monster led me to"

my 46 actually started out 12 yrs ago as a street rod build, and then a family and a thing called finances changed it into an "old school" build...

some builders are always accurate with their plans and have determination to finish the way they envisioned ....me on the other hand....hey look squirrel!!! lol:D:D:D

I am starting with a 53 Willys PU.At first I was going to put it on a Blazer frame keeping the four wheel drive.Then it happened..........I went to the Lonestar Round-up and I was hooked!Now it will be two wheel drive.I picked up a front axle last night,a friend gave me a Ford 302(actually a whole Bronco),and I`m constantly reading trying to figure out how to build this thing.

So far Im pretty much on track with my original plans. In the begining I drew pictures until I came up with the picture that I wanted my rod to look like. As I build I am suprised at how many different ideas a person can come up with to accomplish one goal. That is what makes building so interesting and at times overwhelming. Something that happened recently made for a good laugh. I was working on the body , had the floor channeled out for the drive shaft and the rear axle was set in place. I knew the rear end was centered on the frame because I had recently measured it for something but the pinion didnt line up with the center of the body? Duh.. the rear end was out of a 4x4 and the pinion was off center. I got a good laugh that I didnt notice this sooner.

Latest posts

Back