How low is too low

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anarchy

Banned
[S Today I got my frame all welded out so we set it down off the table and did a little mock up. we set the frame on 6x6 blocks to take a look at it,and i have to say i love it in the weeds, but how High should the lowest point of the truck be from the ground. Sorry if this has been posted before, i think it has just couldnt find the tread. this is the first time I have built a rod so low to the ground and just dont want to have any scrub issues. thanks

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums...iew&current=ef3b3f75.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Last edited:
mine

my dodge is about 4'' in the front from the ground.

l tucked everything up so only the front bumper drags once in a while. l just have to angle her some to get in & out of some lots. speed bumps, unless there ridiculously high, don't bother me.

set it up how you want with all the parts that hang down, then put on the tires you are running, the let the air outta one or both the front ones and see what touches the ground. this is how l got my ride height.

Later:cool:

If all four tire were flat and nothing hits the your good. If it does you may have issues.

As per NSRA inspection rules nothing other then the exhaust can be below the scrub line.

A lot depends on your wheelbase. My 23 was only 4 inches off the ground at the lowest place and only bottomed out on one very high speedbump. The wheelbase was only 100" on that one. My new rpu has a 112 inch wb and I am keeping it about 6 inches off the deck. Speedbumps and leaving driveways are two places you will know if yours is too low.

Build in some way to elevate the car later on if you find out it is too low, like adding spacers or extra leaves.

Don

If those are the front tires/wheels you're going to use, 4" is probably good enough for scrub. I seriously doubt you'll be having any double blow outs on the rear. As for speed bumps and such it kinda depends on your wheel base - and that looks long.

This one's 4"... me like it lo!!! [ddd:eek::D

BoB

Attachments

• alley.jpg
    alley.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 51
Thanks guys!
I will be running those front tires at least for now but the rear will be a ford 8.8
with a 3.73 gear some how i deleted the pic i was going to up load so i up loaded the one with the dully rear end and well the axle sets so high it wouldnt really roll under the frame so made the wheel base looks long. I was planning on having about a 120" wheel base. I just ordered spindles and a disk brake kit for my 1938 front axle so when that all gets here ill get it all fabbed up.

always leave your self options

I would say six inches to be safe I had an s-10 at that and bottom outs were rare except my drive way go figure right. I set mine up for 7" then add the 44 gmc, add the 2.3 four banger, plus tranny , subtract the weight of gas. and I`m at 4.5" if Iremember right . aint that some crap. it was my 7" z that narrowed my options

I am kinda old and very very slow but from my point of view...think common sense here...make it so you can get a floor jack under it to jack it up in the air....me personally low looks cool....but from a standpoint of being practical....low is not smart....and besides try working on something that low...it is a royal pain the back side..
just my 2 cents thats all...
MikeC

I agree low does look better. My 54 started out so low I could not get it off the lift so I have since raised it up so that the front bumper is about 6 inches off the ground, which is just high enough to get a floor jack under it. I only have problems when pulling into a few gas stations that have a dip for water drainage next to the road. Then I jusy angle across it with no problems.

Build a car with no tires on the wheels, if nothing else touches the ground then your good, scrub line (very sore subject)....ruggs

Low is low enough when...

If a speed bump stops you and that's your end- you've went too low.

In thinking of that same question myself, a security gaurd at work pointed out the obvious that if I want to drive as a daily ride I cant come to work if I cant get over the speed bumps. Moreimportantly, the fairgrounds in town has speed bumps and if I want to drive to the nationals I cant since I'd stop traffic and cause such a problem. Thinking of this, I paid attention to my grocery store and other places; having it THAT low would just be a pain in the kiester.- so, I'm going a little higher than that.

If a speed bump stops you and that's your end- you've went too low.

In thinking of that same question myself, a security gaurd at work pointed out the obvious that if I want to drive as a daily ride I cant come to work if I cant get over the speed bumps. Moreimportantly, the fairgrounds in town has speed bumps and if I want to drive to the nationals I cant since I'd stop traffic and cause such a problem. Thinking of this, I paid attention to my grocery store and other places; having it THAT low would just be a pain in the kiester.- so, I'm going a little higher than that.

yep
when beginning the 27 build i took the wheelbase into account
120 inches
right now i have 7 1/2 inches of clearance.
if a speed bump or dip in the road will cripple the ride
i wont own it.

i had extra cab s10 that was about 4" at lowest point and only every once and a while i would bottom out on something but no very often but i also bought the truck that low if i built it it would not have been that low. my current build im doing will be about 5-6 but its on bags so will be able to raise it if needed

Too low is when you bring your car to the shop where I was working and try to get me to weld up your gas tank because you ground a weak spot that was seeping gasolene from bottoming out. Another "too low" was similar, this guy ground off one of the gas tank straps holding it up, the other strap was just about ready to fail also. One guy had ground at least an inch and a half of his rear bumper off, like totally missing, looking back I wish I would have taken pictures.

Latest posts

Back