How low should I go - rid height

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

Just started building the frame (pics to come soon) and I'm trying to determine how low I want my ride to be (1942 Ford Truck). Initially I was thinking of about 4" but that seens down there a bit. I want the truck to be a daily driver, well at least during dry weather. I will have some height adjustment for the rear suspesion on the coil over spring bracket.

Anyway, Just trying to get a sence of what's a good all around ride height. I know it's a matter of taste but since this is my first build I'd like any advice you may have on this subject.

Thanks,

Sid

I would agree with DMW, and Bonehead mines at 4" and does OK but you need to make sure everything is up at ride height. That means oil pan suspension everything.

OK, I'm down to 4 inches and I have 1 inch of adjustment on rear height either way with the rear coilovers mounts. I made solid brackets to stand in for the coilovers while I work on the frame. I'm unsure on what sized tires I'll be running in front, I'll have to hold off a bit before I get the front Z done.

Thanks for the info.

Sid

You might want to add an extra inch to account for spring sag, if you are using new springs. My rear coils have settled at least and inch and the front spring a little as well too.

You can not accuratly establish your " ride height ' without your wheels and tires in place . Your scrub line will be affected by your wheel size , With your wheels (without) tires sitting on the ground, there should be nothing else touching the ground . Do most low riding vehioles - including mine - meet this criteria , probably not . Does it matter / Not really, at least until you get a blow out and something digs into the pavement and you tear your veh and maybe your body up .

You can not accuratly establish your " ride height ' without your wheels and tires in place . Your scrub line will be affected by your wheel size , With your wheels (without) tires sitting on the ground, there should be nothing else touching the ground . Do most low riding vehioles - including mine - meet this criteria , probably not . Does it matter / Not really, at least until you get a blow out and something digs into the pavement and you tear your veh and maybe your body up .

I figure scrub line if one tire blows, not 2 or more. May not be the correct way, but it's what I'm comfortable with. I figure the same with bags - if one corner blows a tire AND a bag.

scrub line vs " look "

I figure scrub line if one tire blows, not 2 or more. May not be the correct way, but it's what I'm comfortable with. I figure the same with bags - if one corner blows a tire AND a bag.

well Sam you are probably a lot closer to reality with your method . The odds of getting two blow outs at once are greater than winning the powerball .If its still raining tomorrow and all shows are cancelled I'm gonna experiment a little , measruring both ways . I will post results

Well I did a little test . I got lazy and just let the air out of 1 front tire for starters . The lowest point on my truck is the front corner of the frame under the cab. With all the air out of the front tire , the frame went down 1 1/4 inches , which still left me with 2 5/8 inches of clearance . I always thought I would bottom out , so I am now relieved that I'm not as low as I thought . At ride height my lowest frame point is 3 7/8 inches off the ground . Another back of the mind worry has been eliminated .

Well I did a little test . I got lazy and just let the air out of 1 front tire for starters . ...QUOTE]

That's not lazy - 'work smarter, not harder'

A dropped axle/spindle is what generally puts ppl in the danger zone. The next most likely scenario would be 2 tires blowing on the same side.

Latest posts

Back