How much flattener to use?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I picked up some PPG Shopline "direct gloss" single-stage paint yesterday. I'm going with a flat white. The paint chick said she couldn't tell me how much flattener to use b/c she had never done a flat white. If it was flat black, she could tell me.

I do not comprehend why the color matters. In general, how much should I use?

Single stage urethanes are pretty hard to flatten. I don't think PPG makes a flattening agent for their Shop Line line of paints.

I think that they make a flat clear though...

Single stage urethanes are pretty hard to flatten. I don't think PPG makes a flattening agent for their Shop Line line of paints.

that should make it appear flat under the clear....?????

One thing I learned the hard way is that if you lay on flattened paint too wet it will still come out shiny. The idea is to just put on enough to cover but not saturate the surface.

Don

Sarge I believe you are correct. If I wanted a flat urethane finish I would use a two stage system, because clearing single stage kind of makes it two stage, doesn't it?[S One of the reasons single stage urethanes are hard to flatten is they chemically cure, so you don't get that flash like you get with lacquer... one thing we use to do with enamel was cut it with lacquer thinner to make it "flash" which made it dry flat. With todays paint systems I always follow the tech sheet. Since you already have the white use it, scuff it and then use a flat clear.

OK the paint chick called PPG and they recommended a product that works with all thier paints. You can mix in various ratios to get the flatness you want. You have to use a surprising amount - The ratio becomes 4 - 2 - 1 - 1 with the "2" being the flatting agent.

We shall see. If its too shiny still, Ill put on a flat clear.

Don - good advice, I'll try the multiple light coats as well.

Yep, we sprayed my Son's first frame with Dupont paint and added a whole bunch of flattener and when it dried it was just as shiny as if no flattener were added at all. When I mentioned it to the lady at the paint store she said it was because I laid it on too wet. We did the next job with light coats and it flattened right out. Expensive lesson. I am just used to really laying that last coat on nice and wet to get it to flow, and that is where I screwed up.

Don

Well I painted it this morning, came out very nice I think. As suspected, even with the max amount of flattener, it came out more of a satin. Fine with me, I think it looks good.

Only downside - it makes me want an ice cream cone when I look at it. :D

Attachments

• PC010716.JPG
    PC010716.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 36
  • PC010717.JPG
    PC010717.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 32
X2 man....that looks great....

That is really the type of finish I wanted ......Yours looks great....mine came out flatter....guess I'll have to try experimenting with spray technique..maybe a little wetter would do it....as Don said...too wet too shiny...have to try a little wetter I guess...anyway....I think it looks great....[cl

Latest posts

Back