How much massaging to put a 390 in a 62 Falcon.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodag

There is a '62 Falcon for sale locally for cheap. I have a 390 and 9" out of a 65 Tbird sitting in the garage. I am kinda digging the altered gasser look, so Id probably lose the inner fenders anyway.

Ive not been a Ford guy until all of this stuff started falling into my lap, but I know the later Falcons were available with a V8. The pics Ive seen of the '62 the space looks pretty tight between the shock towers. So how bad will it be to make all my junk work together?

Anyone have pics of gasser Falcons?

Will the Speedway solid axle kit work for this application?

Hodag

Space is tight but without the inner fenders, a friend of mine dropped a 460 in one. About anything can be done with the right amount of fab work.

1000 words

Attachments

• z390falcon.jpg
    z390falcon.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
Here's a pic of one done up gasser. An altered wheelbase on one of these would look sharp.

Attachments

• HPIM2180 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2180 (Medium).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 47
i'm not much of a ford fan but i do have a place in my heart for the early falcons and especially the ranchero's. my second favorite ford motors are the FE's which includes the 390. the flatty is of course my fav ford motor.

Yeah, I would like to complete the look by doing the altered wheelbase. If I got the 2 door, there wouldnt be a lot of room to move the axle forward. Plus I dont want to completely lose the back seat, I have 2 kids that I hope will want to cruise with dad.

Box the frame - check.
Lose the inner fenders - check.
Straight axle - check.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Hodag

Losing the fenderwells and going straight axle, anything will fit. Problem arises when you keep the stock suspension. Ford farmed out their Thunderbolts to fit a 427 into their Fairlanes.

That RRS kit is cool. If I stay with the stock suspension, I would definitely try those. Since Im leaning toward gasser, I probably just lose the entire inner fender. Then anything will fit.

Hodag

Like Gasser said the Fairlanes had 427 & 390 and I think the engine bays are the same for all ever the early stang's,but not to sure.

I say do it too it brother !:D

Latest posts

Back