how much to chop and where?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetrodman

Looking to chop the top on my 48' ford f-1 pick-up. From what I have seen in the past, most people cut them into a 4 piece chop and add metal in the center. For those o you who have been on this road, what do you suggest. I was thinking about 4" to 5" for the chop? any detailed pictures would be great.

Attachments

• toys.jpg
    toys.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 72
Tex Smith's book "How to chop tops" is a great place to start. It's available new and used on Amazon. Just remember though, the more you chop the more trouble it is. I personally don't like to cut in 4 pieces and add a strip in the middle. I've seen too many butcher jobs done like that and have resulted in RPU's! :eek: Maybe some of the other guys have different opinions but that's just my .02! :rolleyes:

Toad

Where the heck ya been? And why have you been hiding that truck from us?! That looks great - need more pics!!!

Maybe 4" front 3" back?

If you can find a second cab roof you can 4-way it without filler strips.

check out dmw56 he's done a 51 ford -almost exactly like yours (back glass is bigger, the only dif i know of) most truck chops i've seen that pull out 4" only split the top cross-ways--from driver side to passenger side, which lengthens the top from front to back
they pie cut/relief cut the posts and flex them to make those line up

once again dmw56 has just exactly what you need to see, i just don't know how to "link" it here

truck

thanks for the advice. I will check those out. The front clip is from a 76' camaro. ford nine inch in the rear. SM blk chevy, with an auto trans. here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 48ford7.jpg
    48ford7.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 35
  • rat1.jpg
    rat1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 36
  • rat5.jpg
    rat5.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 33
  • rat7.jpg
    rat7.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
  • rat13.jpg
    rat13.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 42
  • rat14.jpg
    rat14.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 30
thanks for the advice. I will check those out. The front clip is from a 76' camaro. ford nine inch in the rear. SM blk chevy, with an auto trans. here are some more pics.

good looking rat like the inside doors with all the girly pics lots of detail you have done awesome

Tex Smith's book "How to chop tops" is a great place to start. It's available new and used on Amazon. Just remember though, the more you chop the more trouble it is. I personally don't like to cut in 4 pieces and add a strip in the middle. I've seen too many butcher jobs done like that and have resulted in RPU's! :eek: Maybe some of the other guys have different opinions but that's just my .02! :rolleyes:

Toad

Great book, I bought a copy and it really helped me. I personally like the look of a little more slant in the front so I tried to lay the pillars back, well am in the process of trying to do that now......... Kind of a pain, but I think it will pay off.

truck

thank you, but she looks too tall.....need to chop badly, since I deleted the fenders and running boards. That was my first attempt at old school pin striping, Thought one day, I'm gonna buy a squirrel hair brush, some one-shot paint and try that....what the hell it sands off. The artwork such as the rat finks, flying eyeballs, etc....was the easy part. Been drawing and painting for years.

Attachments

• rat4.jpg
    rat4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back