How to install a baby moon on wheel that won't accept one.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcamp

I got the Blazer 16 inch space saver spare wheels and the baby moon wouldn't snap on because it didn't have the 3 little nubs to snap in place. So here's what I came up with and workg great. Only thing I need to do is add a pike nut instead of the regular 1/4 inch one.

Attachments

• bills phone 001.jpg
    bills phone 001.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 86
  • bills phone 002.jpg
    bills phone 002.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78
  • bills phone 003.jpg
    bills phone 003.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 82
gonna use stainless or buy a chrome bolt?

I got the Blazer 16 inch space saver spare wheels and the baby moon wouldn't snap on because it didn't have the 3 little nubs to snap in place. So here's what I came up with and workg great. Only thing I need to do is add a pike nut instead of the regular 1/4 inch one.

Just curious.....[P

If thats just a nut welded to your dust cap, you might loose the moon and the dust cap. I'd put a small cable loop over to one of the lug nuts.

Better to lose the cap cleanly than be slinging it around from a cable at 80mph...

Regardless, it would be much better to install clips on the wheel to hold the hupcap on properly.

Since you already have a hole drilled, how about a junkyard "cure"?

Used on full size GM cars (Buicks, Olds', and Cadillacs) in the 70's and 80's with those heavy wire wheel covers.

hubcapretainer.jpg

If you use the wire hub cap mount shown above you will need the shouldered lug nuts as it is not held under the nut but by the shoulder.

Another idea is to grab a center cap that went to a mag wheel and weld the nut to that. those style caps have a lip on the back and they slide in from the back of the wheel.

My 85 Cutlass had those wire caps on them too. You had to use a 'special' key/tool to get them off - that was a supposed to be a theft deterrent.

Actually still have a few of those old keys

My 85 Cutlass had those wire caps on them too. You had to use a 'special' key/tool to get them off - that was a supposed to be a theft deterrent.

in my tool box from the dealership days.......haven't had much use for them in the past 20 years...LOL....

Yeah, after 6 months and all the thieves had them, it wasn't much of a deterrent anyhow. More of a pain in the butt.

I found a pair of Dykes was faster than looking in the car for the missing key anyways......[ddd

Most of the thieves would simply pry em off...

I found a pair of Dykes was faster than looking in the car for the missing key anyways......[ddd

Pulls the bolt right thru the center.....lol...didn't need much to get them...why they'd want them was always my question...I hate wire wheel covers...:D

Latest posts

Back