How to: Windows after Chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustylocke

The truck is chopped 4" and I want to put some Lexan side windows in. I would like to just lift it up with a strap instead of the regulator, or something easier. After the chop, the window channel doesn't match up so a kit would not work. I have seen it done but don't remember where. Any thoughts?

If you could use a universal channel to hold the glass in. I know they make several glue in styles. I would use glass over plex or lex for scratches.I would put a roller on the bottom of window then mount a belt strap on one side of door and then under glass and up to the inside of the otherside where a buckle or pin to hook the belt on.Thats the way id do it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 53
I have done this a couple of differant ways. I'll try and explain the beast I can. First you will of course have to cut lexan to fit opening. It must have a metal holder[chanel] that it is secured in. With your window in the down postition take a strap and attach to the botton metal piece attached to window. have it long enoungh to come up through the same opeing as window. Attach a screw,bolt,etc. in the center of the the window opening about 2 inches from the bottom of the window opening. Let the strap you attached to the bottom of the window attach[slip over] the screw,bolt ,etc. You can unbutton the strap and pull up on window at this point. Once you get window closed you can again have a hole in strap to secure window. I got the idea from some Old over the road trucks that were done this way. You can also weld a bolt to bottom of window channell. Cut a straight slot in door from top to bottom to where the welded on bolt will go up and down in slot. Put a thumb screw on it[bolt to secure in upright postion. Cheesy but it works. I'm sure I did not explain this to where it sounds as simple as it is.

Following on the idea of using the strap, one guy I know did this on his truck. I believe the side windows were glass, but it doesn't matter so much. He used a seatbelt, and to hold the belt when it was in either the up or down position he had female seatbelt latches mounted to the door in up and down positions. Since the strap had the male part on the end, this makes it super easy to move the window up or down.

The seat belt trick has been used for years on drag cars. I used to use denim pant buttons and put three in each door. One at the top to hold the strap in the down position. One at the bottom to hold the glass closed and one two inches above it to hold the glass just open enough to let air circulate while driving. You can melt a hole in the lexan to hold the belt so you don't have to use a metal frame.

Latest posts

Back