How would you hang 41 Dodge truck doors?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which way do you swing?

• Suicide the doors!

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Normal opening, but hide the hinges!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Dodge knew best, leave them stock!

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
Went to a swap meet today and scored a set of suicide door hinges (and bear claw latches) for cheap. Now to figure out what to do with them.

Part of me wants to go suicide door, but I have a feeling that will get old kinda quick and might freak my wife out.

The other option is to leave the door opening the normal direction, but shave off the stock Dodge hinges.

What would y'all do?

I like the stock hinges hidden hinges are just to show car street rod for me. And suicide doors I think are dumb on any car or truck that didn't come that way from the factory over done for no real practical purpose.

I like suicide doors on something that I dont plan on driving alot of miles. I have had to many what could go wrong with this, So I'm not a big fan of suicide doors for something running down the highway.

Do it!

I like Suicide doors!
Back in 1990 I built a 39 sedan and made my doors suicide!
I used a door light button that is on just about every car(dome light comes on when door opens) and wired them in to a light on dash to make sure doors were shut before taking off! A buzzer would be better unless your truck is real loud!
It will only take ONE time for the doors to open while driving down the road to ruin every thing! :eek: A SAFTEY LIGHT/BUZZER would be top priority ! :D

suicide doors are a real big pain in the bum.

If your door doesn't latch fully home and it rattles you gotta stop the car to open and re-close the door. If you don't stop the wind can pull the door wide open so fast it can damage the car. If a kid inadvertently opens the door catch its quite likely the kid will fall out on the road.

Some guys regret doing suicide doors because they can be awkward. Imagine having to back into the cab, especially if you hang exhaust, running boards or fenders on it. (There's a reason the factory hinges them the way they do). All I'm saying is, mock it up and try it before you go to all the work.

You know I'd go suicide :D When I started on my Willys hidden hinges were all the rage. The Willys had hidden hinges from the factory but when I went suicide with my doors I used Jeep Commando hinges that stick out :rolleyes:

Go suicide and order some of these for peace of mind. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Suicide-Door-Safety-Latches,2269.html

If those are too fancy just install a couple barrel bolts.....that's what I plan to do.

'41 dodge truck , AWESOME

The first vehicle I ever got to put together was a '41 Dodge pickup. My dad told me what to do, I did it , and after getting it all together and running and painted with Powder blue house paint, he traded it for a '42 Chrysler Windsor. That was 1971, I was 11 , best summer I ever had.Good luck with the old Dodge.

Ive had suicide doors on my 33 ford pu for 2.5 years and love them...... we are chopping my Sons 49 ford pickup and its getting Suicide doors on it and he is 16.... I would say if its what ya want then do it.......

Smitty

Latest posts

Back