How'd you know you were a rat rodder?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4junkie

I was/still am into older trucks cars that seem to be rusty dented ect. I have always owned something that falls into that catagory. I never knew why I liked them still don't other than i think they are cool. Drop in a performance engine, or just swap for a bigger one make it stop and steer. And enjoy. A little simplified but you get it. I just never new there was a term for it till i found sites like this. Mine were/are about go not show! so if thats a rat rod, then I'm a rat rodder. Is that about right for the rest of you?

Well, if 2 identical cars were side by side and one was dented and rusted, the other was not, I'd definitely take the one that wasn't. For me it's a combination of economics and liking to do my own work. If I had the money, I'd buy something ready to drive though. And lots of expensive go fast stuff. If I won the lottery I would so rock a roadster pickup like the one Raybestos gave away and push my rusty clanky one off in the weeds. But alas, I play the cards I'm dealt.

I have a shiny truck and a rusty truck. I like the rusty ones better. Always find myself looking at old rusty trucks. Don't get me wrong old and shiny is nice too. Just not me!

I like that rat rods are built with new ideas and ingenuity. Their are no catalogs for all your rat rod needs. I am also a big fan of building a car to drive. I have built a nice car before and it ends up sitting in the garage because it is such a hassle to take out.

Like Willowbilly, I have never been made of money....I am a hot rodder though, who builds my own stuff...or used to....I am too old and feeble (maybe lazy) now.....

Well, if 2 identical cars were side by side and one was dented and rusted, the other was not, I'd definitely take the one that wasn't. For me it's a combination of economics and liking to do my own work. If I had the money, I'd buy something ready to drive though. And lots of expensive go fast stuff. If I won the lottery I would so rock a roadster pickup like the one Raybestos gave away and push my rusty clanky one off in the weeds. But alas, I play the cards I'm dealt.

bingo
my long lost brother.
if i had money i would ........................

money

not so much about the money for me.

l have shiny and not so shiny, l'd still build the same kind of rod on the outside, just all new parts on the frame/motor/tranny/rear-end/suspension ETC and nice but not over done on the inside.

been building cars on a shoestring budget as long as l can remember, dad and grampa too, so l guess we was rat rodders before it was the "IN" thing to be[S

Later :cool:

How/When?

How did I know? When did I realize? I guess it was when I realized that as much as I enjoy the Swinger, I don't like the "rules", and I like the creativity that exists in "our" world! Plus, you guys are the greatest, most supportive network there is!

Rat Rod is just a term....just like the kids say that it looks `sick`or these other dumb things they say, just like we used to say `cool`or `bitchin`or whatever......Either way, its a phase of hot rodding.....just a phase. There were many phases.....hot rods, street rods, vans, muscle cars, etc, etc, etc.....all came and went

I knew when I bought a perfectly good running car or truck that needed paint an body repair...I would be swapping engines, trans, rearends, wheels, tires ect.. and spend enough to paint the thing 10 times..yet when it was finished at best they have always just got a coat of primer. Maybe I am just not a paint an body guy but rust bleeding through the paint is so much more attractive to me..

I built this thing back around 90 or 91. Down dirty and absolutly no frills. The original paint was still there for the most part, but what wasn't I found that Marhide Satin Black matched pretty close, so a rattle can of that was all that was done to to the outside. Underneath was a different story....it ran like a raped ape and handled like you wouldn't believe....unless you went for a ride in it. From the point of getting this one on the road, I was no longer worried about making something I built shiney and pretty. Like WB3 and a couple of others have stated already...if I had the money, sure I'd like to buy one already done and "nice", but as was so perfectly stated..."I play the cards I'm dealt"

ply4copy.jpg

ply3copy.jpg

Rat Rod is just a term....just like the kids say that it looks `sick`or these other dumb things they say, just like we used to say `cool`or `bitchin`or whatever......Either way, its a phase of hot rodding.....just a phase. There were many phases.....hot rods, street rods, vans, muscle cars, etc, etc, etc.....all came and went

I got my 50' out of a field had to cut a tree out of the engine bay to move it. But probably like everyone else here I loose interest in a build if it takes too long. So I got it running, mechanical, functional, mostly safe, and started driving it. It was when I was out on the streets that I found out it is a rat rod. To me, its my truck.

BUT don't get me wrong, I take it as a compliment, and respect everyone who just built what they wanted.

Latest posts

Back