Hows it goin, from down under.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer135

Howdy y'all, I'm from Australia and I'm really hankering to build me a rat ute ASAP.

The name's Sam or racer135, either one is fine.

My 2 current cheap options at the moment are:

- A 1950-51 ford single spinner ute my mate's dad bought ages ago but never got around to restoring.

It's in pretty bad shape if i remember correctly so it wont be too hard to attack it with an angle grinder, chop about 2in out of the pillars, channel it so its got about 6-8in of clearance, some zoomies pokin out the front guards

- A 1947 ford jailbar cab I used to eye off on the way to school on the bus every time we passed it on the 1hr trip to and from school.

I went back along the side of the road with my car today and checked it out.

The guards and front-end/radiator support with the headlights in it are now about 2-4ft away from the cab which has been pushed around by an electrical company bulldozer while clearing under the powerlines nearby.

The rear of the drivers side of the cab is now about 6-8inches away from the bottom front corner of the door opening, so she's pretty bent.

But hey, I'd rather do a ****-load of work on this gift from the side of the road than pay some idiot like $5-6k for a cab!!!

It's ridiculous what people are asking for old rusted heaps now. I reckon if someone actually owned that 47 they would advertise it for at least $1k. Just have a look at ebay australia and see what ridiculous prices they're asking for mustangs!!!!

Tomorrow I shall borrow my dad's trailer and my brother and we shall go fetch the cab and the guards.

So, after I do a bit of carriage-making to patch up the guards, I'll need to find/make some doors, and find/make a bonnet. I'm thinking of replacing the jail bars with a David Brown tractor grille or with some galvanized 1in diamond step-mesh.

I have a Nissan Navara rolling/driving chassis to mount the cab/guards on. Torsion bar front end, with a 6cyl ford 4.1L crossflow engine in it.

I'm thinking of chopping about 2 inches out of the pillars of it, channeling to get it pretty low lookin. Might get a flathead v8 from somewhere and get some zoomies happening.

For this one though, I'm gonna make a fake tow truck back for it, so it will basically be a miniaturized tow truck. A bit of artwork here and there, "Rat-a-tow-e" along the crane arm, with "Fishy's Gas and Tow Service" on the doors, with a tough muscly lookin cross armed fish with a cap on, smokin a cigarette (HAHA just an idea i thought up the other day after seeing an 50's-looking poster of some muscly cross armed chick in a bandanna smokin a cig). I'll get one of my girlfriend's mates to do the paint/artwork for it making it look the 50's style.

It will be finished in matte black OR some coats of clear to preserve the wonderful rust and weld work.

Some inspiration:
Tracy Smith's 1939 Rat Rod Pickup. A highly modified S-10 frame-shortened 12 inches. Built by Gas Axe Chop Shop in Ten Mile, TN and Paint and Custom Pinstriping done by Flamin Freddie Smith
1939-rat-rod-pickup.jpg

Another rod i got some inspiration from:
http://www.streetrods-online.com/RAT%20RODS/RAT_PHOTOS_17/6efc_3.jpg

I got bitten by the rat bug (or just the rat?) about a month ago. I just love the idea of the creativity you can put in, and the head turning at the very low price compared to the price of building a shiny head-turning vehicle.

So, I shall be asking a few questions around the place as things start coming together, though i don't think y'all be able to answer them since I'm all the way overseas.

Oh well!!! I can't wait to rock up to work in a rat soon! Yerr!!!

Last edited:
Hey Sam Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have some great ideas for your projects. Feel free to post up some pics when ya get to working on them.

Shall do!!!

Any extra stuff you guys could advise me on would be awesome.

Does it sound like I'm on the right rat track?

The 52 F-1 in my avatar is my dads. It's going on a much shinier path...he's a bit unsure at the moment whether to keep it and do it up all shiny like, or sell it and get something else, since the cab of this thing isn't too crash hot. I'll buy it off him myself and make it my rat if he does decide to sell it, since the paintwork looks the part!!!

Pics of the 52 here:
www.cardomain.com/ride/3116819

Last edited:
Welcome Sam, there's alot of knowledge on this board and you won't find a nicer bunch anywhere. I think you are on the right track and would also love to see some pics when you get to work. I feel for you on the crazy prices , I can not imagine what it costs you guys overseas. It is hard enough to afford the prices of car stuff here in the US. Hope you enjoy the site.

Welcome to RRR, Sam. Like your intro. Looks like you know what you want & are ready to get to it. Lots of good knowledgeable folks here. A few from down under too. Looking forward to your build.

welcome racer 135

I've had a 52 ford in high school cool trucks
Would like to visit the world down under one of these days.
Been on some of the dragstrip web sites there love the cars being ran
there. A friend of my sold his 63 vet pro mod to a guy there it was a record
holder in the med west .
The 52 will be a cool ride .

all rust no paint it's a ratrod

Latest posts

Back