Hung from coils ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I'm setting up the rear suspension on my chassis . I've thought about coil overs ( doesn't look vintage enough ) , 1/4 elliptic ( too much unknown ) . I was at a swap meet yesterday and found a pair of rear coils that looked just right to set up a vintage rear suspension (old school) .

Can anyone offer any example set ups as far as buckets , trailing arms and other particulars for this style of suspension ?

Thx ,
Gonzo

I'm setting up the rear suspension on my chassis . I've thought about coil overs ( doesn't look vintage enough ) , 1/4 elliptic ( too much unknown ) . I was at a swap meet yesterday and found a pair of rear coils that looked just right to set up a vintage rear suspension (old school) .

Can anyone offer any example set ups as far as buckets , trailing arms and other particulars for this style of suspension ?

Thx ,
Gonzo

Take a look at 67-72 2wd c10 pickups. They use coils in the rear with a trailing arm setup. They work very well as the trailing arms are long and mount via crossmember in the center of the chassis, so you get push/pull from the center of the chassis vs the rear.

I'm going to build my trailing arm susp for the rear of my 51 Dodge business coupe. I think with a long panhard bar and and good shock placement it'd make a nice setup.

Got these plans about 30yrs ago

... they were sold through the NZ Hot Rod magazine...

while the mag is still around , these plans are no longer sold ..

there a few ideas,, im not sure you'd have run with coil overs,, they put them in these drawings at that time coil overs were cool !! NZ Hr mag did a monthly build up feature with these plans, car ran tough 318 , and some pretty respectable 1/4's too

I saw the car listed for sale earlier this year ,on a site similar to eBay

crate

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 51
. I've thought about coil overs ( doesn't look vintage enough ) ,

Thx ,
Gonzo
There are a lot of hotrods ,steetrods and ratrods running around with coil overs . Looking vintage enough seems to matter to the folks on the PORK site . But especially on a rat where any thing that "looks" good is ok , vintage does not matter . I have a mix of old . new and vintage on my rat and nobody - ever - said it did not look cool because it had parts that were not "vintage " . JMLColorado's advice is good , but are parts from a 60's era truck really "vintage " . I say forget "vintage" and build your rat to ride good and look good .

Very good advice. I'm going to try coil springs, may go with coil overs later. For anybody it may help, google Checker racing, they have a lot of stuff, 1 thing they have is a 4 bar setup, complete with coil overs, cross members etc for $575. Several around here have had them do chassis work or bought stuff from them, some pretty nice stuff.

speedway motors sells coil spring kits.
I am thinking about coils for rear of my project.
I had to sell my coilovers to pay bills and have several junk vehicles I can get free coils from.
You see lots of T buckets around here with coil springs in rear.

I've posted this before but I'm sold on my setup. Junkyard parts. Coilovers - '88 Subaru wagon - $18 pair. Trailing arms - '99 Land Rover Discovery - $33 pair (half price day). Panhard bar - '01 Kia Sportage trailing arm (cutdown) $23.
Granted, they're not coil springs but cheap and effective!

Latest posts

Back