Hung out with Foose and Garlits today.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Ok, that's a lie. I went to a local car show and Chip was there signing stuff and so was Don. There was a 3 hour line to get to meet Chip and as much as I like him I wouldn't wait in line for 3 hours to meet the Pope. :D We stood and watched him and he was his usual friendly self, taking as much time with each person as they wanted.

Don's line was shorter and my Son Don bought one of his books and I bought a T shirt, both autographed by him. I said something to Don and he ignored me and Don's GF said "Boy, is HE friendly or what?" Then I told her he can't hear very well from all those years of zoomies in his ears, my understanding is that he is almost deaf from that.

It was a nice show with a huge turnout and my Son's band played, so that was fun. As usual, I forgot my camera though. :eek: At least we got our two roadsters out for a little drive and the weather was beautiful.

Don

Here's a Chip Foose story for you even though sometimes a lot of folks give him grief on these internet forums. I went to the Dettroit Autorama a few years back. I walked outside my hotel late at night because I wanted to see the the snow that was falling (I live in South Florida). Holy cow!! I ran into Chip Foose getting out of a cab at my hotel. I walked up and told him I enjoyed his and his father's work and that I had a young son that desired his autograph. Chip promptly pulled his Autorama exhibitors pass from around his his neck, autographed it then gave it to me. He also pulled out his cell phone and offered to call my son but it was late and I knew my son was asleep so I thanked Foose for the offer but declined. Foose is not only a talented guy but he's top notch in my book.

I have several Don Garlits autographs dating back to the late 70's (when he was still rascing) up till a couple of years ago. Garlits is an intense guy. Sometimes he's really grumpy and other times he's glad to talk to you. He's an amazing guy that has done and seen a lot over the years.

Last edited:
As a famous California rod builder, I'll bet Chip and Don G. would have wanted your autograph, had they known you were there.[cl

Not car related but celebrity related. We have autograph shows in Burbank, Ca. Upcoming in February, Traci Lords and Elvira will be there. The original TV Green Hornet, Van Williams, will be there too. Van Williams was a reserve Deputy Sheriff when I worked Malibu back in the '80's. Every now and then, we worked together. People magazine ran an article on Van Williams being the Green Hornet and a reserve deputy. He wanted me to come in for the photo shoot so the article could say, "The Green Hornet and Kato are back!".

I refused, I wanted to spend my career without anyone knowing who I was. My wife wants to attend the autograph show and meet my former partner.

Ok, that's a lie. I went to a local car show and Chip was there signing stuff and so was Don. There was a 3 hour line to get to meet Chip and as much as I like him I wouldn't wait in line for 3 hours to meet the Pope. :D We stood and watched him and he was his usual friendly self, taking as much time with each person as they wanted.

Don's line was shorter and my Son Don bought one of his books and I bought a T shirt, both autographed by him. I said something to Don and he ignored me and Don's GF said "Boy, is HE friendly or what?" Then I told her he can't hear very well from all those years of zoomies in his ears, my understanding is that he is almost deaf from that.

It was a nice show with a huge turnout and my Son's band played, so that was fun. As usual, I forgot my camera though. :eek: At least we got our two roadsters out for a little drive and the weather was beautiful.

Don

I was at Garlits museum a couple of years ago and Big himself was there, and we were talking ,and he his very hard of hearing. Someone ask the same question was it from all the engine noise and he said no, it was from heavy artillery fire in the war. I am guessing the Korean war. He said being hard of hearing made it easier to drive those cars.

He wasn't being rude at all with me, he just couldn't hear what I was saying. As I get older I understand that all too well. :(

As for Chip, he is exactly as Gastrick described.........would give you the shirt off of his back. Everyone I have ever talked to says the same thing. When Skratch was pinstriping my 23 I asked him what it was like to work with Chip. He said he is exactly like you see on TV, easy going, kind, and smiling all the time.........as well as being able to do ANYTHING on a car. Nice to see a talented guy who doesn't have his nose in the air. :)

Don's GF Taylor was telling me that when Don met Paul LeMat at some show (Milner from American Grafitti) Don was all star struck and almost couldn't get any words out. :D I would probably be the same way with Chip and ask some dumb question like " So, Mr. Foose, what air pressure do you run in the tires of your cars?" :rolleyes::eek:

Don

Not car related but celebrity related. We have autograph shows in Burbank, Ca. Upcoming in February, Traci Lords and Elvira will be there. The original TV Green Hornet, Van Williams, will be there too. Van Williams was a reserve Deputy Sheriff when I worked Malibu back in the '80's. Every now and then, we worked together. People magazine ran an article on Van Williams being the Green Hornet and a reserve deputy. He wanted me to come in for the photo shoot so the article could say, "The Green Hornet and Kato are back!".

I refused, I wanted to spend my career without anyone knowing who I was. My wife wants to attend the autograph show and meet my former partner.

So you're really Bruce Lee? We need a pic gasser!!!:D

Foooooooose

I have a quick Foose story>>
My wife and kids were at the Goodguys show in Columbus 3 yrs ago.
We were walking around and from around the corner on a golfcart comes Chip.
I said to my wife " lets go say HI and shake his hand!"[cl
So he is stopped talking to some lady and then we approach him!
I said HI and told him how much I enjoyed his work! My wife runs up and says
" OH, CHIP FOOSE I GOTTA HAVE A HUG"[dr Well as she leans over to hug him she just about tackles him and knocks his foot off of the brake peddle and away they go for about 3 ft until Chip stomps the peddle again!
Very embarrassing !:eek:

As a famous California rod builder, I'll bet Chip and Don G. would have wanted your autograph, had they known you were there.[cl

I tried to tell Don who I am, but I think he was more interested in the $20 I gave him for an autographed T shirt. :D I did really want to say a few words to Chip and ask how his Dad is doing. He had some health issues a while back and Chip and his Dad are super close, and that is apparent whenever you see them together on TV. I think Chip would have appreciated someone asking about his Pop.

Don

Latest posts

Back